Deciding between Nursing and IT.

<p>Hello everyone,</p>

<p>I really need help to decide between two different majors.</p>

<p>I've always wanted to go into the medical field, specifically to be a Nurse Anesthetist.</p>

<p>However, I had a year long internship throughout high school at Target HeadQuarters and I fell in love with the environment. I feel like the company has so many growth opportunities, and I could be very successful there. IT is in high demand and the pay would be very good, which is something that is important to me. (Around 100K yearly)</p>

<p>Being a Nurse Anesthetist is something I would love to do. The pay is around 150K, I believe. I would have to go to school for 6-7 years. The only thing deterring me would be the growth opportunities. I feel like when it comes to Healthcare, education is a must. I think if I were to have a position in the medical field, every time I want to advance, I'd have to go back to school.</p>

<p>I just want to go to school, then start my career and be able to advance without going back to school, but I also want to do something that I love. What should I do? I know I should probably follow my heart, but the thing is, even that is indecisive.</p>

<p>getting a nursing degree is a smart way to go. you can always find a job. being a nurse anesthetist is a whole different level and would come later on . in IT you can always be outsourced and or automated out of a job. nursing is a job that can not be sent overseas, and for the next 15-20 years robots will be doing stuff like delivering meds to floors and picking up dirty linens and such. so you can feel pretty safe about your ability to maintain employment for a very long time (IMO)</p>

<p>You might start with nursing and take some IT classes as electives. I’d imagine there is a market out there for an overlap between the two fields. That will also give you some time and some perspective to make a final decision. However, think of NA as a long-term goal. If you don’t want to be a regular nurse for many years, don’t go to nursing school. </p>

<p>I think that in a lot of job areas you’re going to find that if you want to advance, you’ll have to go back to school. However, if you really love what you’re doing, then going back to school will be an exciting time for you. My advice would be to get an internship at a hospital or other nursing facility. Then you’ll have experienced both professions and I think that then you will know where your heart is. Plus, you might find that if you go to school for IT you might love it so much that you want to go back to school down the road!</p>