Deciding Classes for Sophomore Year

Hey there,
I am planning out my Sophomore classes and since I also have a period for Band/Orchestra it comes down to 6 choices. I am thinking AP Chemistry, AP Comp Science and debating AP World History. I hear its a very tough class in my school and lot of work and since I am thinking the CS route just trying to get some insights into the below questions:

• If I am aiming for the top colleges would it look bad if I didnt take AP Word History but instead next year I focus time on independent CS projects or other online courses.
  • For Spanish I will be taking third year and I hear that is good enough for many colleges (3 years language) but in Junior year I am ok to take Spanish 4 but again here would AP Spanish be considered an added advantage for the top colleges?
  • Some friends are doing AP Biology and AP Chemistry next year but I am not sure if that is an overkill and would it be necessary because I plan to do AP Physics Junior year and then Senior year potentially AP Biology. Would AP Bio be necessary even if I plan to go the CS/CE route.
    Thanks in advance.

Consider the course pattern described in

Regarding courses of particular interest if you want to go into computer science and engineering:

• Math: continue through precalculus; if you finish precalculus in 11th grade or earlier, take calculus if available to you.
  • Computer science: principles gives you an overview of the subject, A dives into programming and data structures for CS majors.
  • Physics: computer engineering will require physics; some high school physics is recommended before taking college physics. AP physics C (requires calculus) is sometimes allowed to fulfill calculus-based physics requirements.
  • Chemistry: engineering majors may require chemistry or a college science of your choice; AP chemistry is sometimes allowed to fulfill it. College chemistry courses commonly recommend high school chemistry as a prerequisite.
  • Biology: AP biology may be allowed to fulfill an option science if the college specifies it for major or fulfill a biological science general education requirement if such is specified an allows AP credit.
  • AP English, history, etc. is sometimes allowed to fulfill general education requirements.
  • Spanish: colleges may have foreign language graduation requirements. Higher level in high school can mean higher placement in college, resulting in fewer courses needed to fulfill a foreign language graduation requirement.
2 Likes

Thank you so much.