Deciding whether to submit test scores

Howdy, y’all!

With the Common app rolling over, I’m beginning to add my scores to the self-report. I tested a 33 ACT on my first attempt, which I’m grateful for. I had the opportunity to retake it to try and get a better superscore, but I elected not to out of fear of scoring lower than before (One of the universities I’m applying to requires the entire testing portfolio

Three of the schools currently on my list, I’m considering sending scores to as a toss-up: Swarthmore, Occidental College, and Clark University. Each is test-optional, and also self-scoring. I was looking at their common data sets to see where my ACT would place me among their percentiles and they are as followed:

• Clark University - 75th Percentile is a 33, 50th is a 32. No average found in CDS.
  • Occidental - 75th Percentile is a 34, 50th is a 32. NO average found in CDS.
  • Swarthmore - 75th Percentile is a 35, 50th is a 33. Avg overall is a 33.3

This may sound like a really stupid question, but should I consider submitting my ACT scores to these institutions? A 33 ACT certainly is a good score and the CDS shows I would fit right in statistically. However, those scores aren’t necessarily above and beyond the 75th percentile like other schools on my list.

Thanks for your input!

1 Like

I would submit your score to all those schools based on what I know (which is very little). Generally send if it’s at the median or above. But, there can be exceptions to that.

3 Likes

Keep in mind CDS is reporting enrolled student stats. Necessarily, all of these people, even the ones below the median, were successful applicants.

Personally, I would usually submit scores at or above the median in the 2020-21 CDS. Let’s use Swarthmore to illustrate why.

Back in 20-21, 40% of enrollees had submitted an ACT, and Swarthmore’s ACT stats for enrollees was 31/33/34 (25th/50th/75th). Average (thanks for reporting!) was 32.5. Given these were all successful applicants, I think a 33 was clearly a helpful score. 31, maybe not so much, meaning maybe enough people got in despite a 31, not because of it, such that their 31 was not actually helpful.

22-23 CDS (latest), 19% submitted an ACT, 32/33/35, average 33.3. What changed? Well, prima facie, all that happened was people with not-so-good ACT scores simply didn’t submit. Fewer people got in despite an unhelpful score. So, the distribution of submitted scores shifted higher, but now more of that distribution is helpful scores.

So I don’t think a 33 was any less helpful. A 32? That’s more borderline, because there were maybe still some hooked applicants for whom a 32 was good, when it wouldn’t be good for an unhooked applicants. But I would personally think a 33 was still safely a good score for Swarthmore.

This is even easier to see with SATs. 20-21, 68% reported, 1400/1480/1530, average 1455. I say 1480 is a good score. 22-23, 42% reported, 1455/1500/1540, average 1495. I think 1480 is still a good score, it is just a lot of not-so-good scores got turned into no-submissions.

4 Likes

There is not a right answer here!
Some parents (including myself) talking about this retroactively, looking at our 23 grad’s choices:
To Submit or Not to Submit test scores - lessons for class of '24 - Applying to College - College Confidential Forums

You have a good score. Honestly, I don’t think it will help or hurt you - your application will succeed or fail based on the rest of your application. Good luck!!! :slight_smile:

1 Like

Admission officers I’ve heard ( from different schools) suggest applicants submit standardized test scores if they are at or above the 50th percentile for the school. That advice makes sense to me. Sounds like it makes sense for you to submit scores.

1 Like

Heck yeah to Clark - only 26% submit.

Heck yeah to Oxy - only 41% submit.

You’re at the 50th for both but few submit. There’s a reason so I’d say it’s a smart move.

Swat is different. Are your scores consistent meaning do you have 2 30 and 2 36 or all in the 32-34 range. You want to make sure you have balance in the sections. If you do, I’d submit as 61% of admits did because you’re at the 50th percentile.

If it’s Gtown you are applying - I get the hesitation. But what if you got a 34 ?

I’d put in all three.

Good luck.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 180 days after the last reply. If you’d like to reply, please flag the thread for moderator attention.