DECISION Time: UCSB vs UCD Transfer for Psychology major

Hello all- we just went to UCSB Transfer Friday event. It was very well done. They packed a lot of great information into the day. Especially loved the Q/A panel with current transfer students. They all seemed like amazing people whom you would love to have as friends, and were very articulate and poised while answering all kinds of questions from the audience. Ditto for our tour guide. My son loves the school and overall vibe. The new library is gorgeous and has both ocean and mountain views on the higher floors.

One big shocker - In the Psych info session, the advisors said the Psych and Brain Science BS (which my son was admitted to as a pre-major) was an “error” by admissions, that the pre-major he was admitted for should have been either the BA Psych or the BS Biopsychology. So he has to request to change his major to one of those two. It was annoying that no one previously notified him of this and luckily we just happened to go there to find this out. This transition is going to be happening over the next few years from the BA to the new BS, but it doesn’t seem to being going very smoothly, judging by this. The thought of more “red tape” to change the major is not exciting.

Also, is anyone else a little freaked out by the housing situation for transfers at UCSB? They stated unequivocally that all transfers will be sharing a bedroom with one or possibly even two other students. My son is a little older (25) and a little more on the non-traditional spectrum. Does anyone have any thoughts or ideas to get around the shared housing idea. Is UCSB that crowded or strapped for space? I suppose senior year he may have some friends as potential housemates and could rent a house in the community with his own bedroom possibly, but for now the shared bedroom idea is a bit of an issue.

The only other school he is seriously considering at this point is Davis, and the housing there is phenomenal (private bed/bath for the most part), but he didn’t like the campus (too hot) and felt there was nothing to do there. He just didn’t like the vibe or location. He grew up and we currently live near the coast in So cal, so I actually understand this. However his father and sister both live up there near San Fran so it’s not like he would be at all isolated.

He recently met a girl he really really likes who lives in the LA area, and although I wish that wasn’t a factor I think that it is (in his mind).

Anyone else consider Davis vs UCSB? Just looking for any help or insight as he has not decided yet but is definitely leaning towards UCSB.

bummmmmping— ideas anyone???

anyone else have a similar dilemma?

Both are excellent schools. It sounds like SB is where he wants to go. It is getting late but, he may be able to find an apartment to share in IV.

He chose UCSB- housing is a bit of a nightmare though … But he still preferred that.