Declaring a New Major

<p>My dd attends Towson and did not get into their upper level nursing program. She is considering her options and one of them is to change her major, graduate and then go to an accelerated nursing program. What would be the best major for her to change to or doesn't it make a difference as long as she has all of the prerequisites for the accelerated programs? Big mistake on our part in not having her go to a direct admit school. Ugh! </p>

<p>Karen</p>

<p>I’d look closely at the curriculum of an accelerated nursing program and try to get as many of those courses out of the way as possible, in addition to the mandatory pre-reqs. Once you look at that, you will probably find that bio is the best major, unless that U. has an unusual major that covers more of the classes. </p>

<p>She has all of the prereqs right now except for microbiology which she was planning on taking this summer. It looks like no matter what she switches too it is going to take more than four semesters to graduate though. She is thinking about changing to psychology. </p>

<p>Well, what does she like? If her prereqs are done (and I guess they had to be in order to apply for nursing at Towson) she can major in whatever she likes. Do not grab just any major to finish in order to get into the accellerated BSN. What if that doesn’t work out? Send your D to career services to discover some interests. In the best world, this first degree might also lead her toward something she’d like. </p>

<p>I’m hard pressed to believe that there aren’t any 1+3 or 2+2 nursing programs that she can’t transfer into. What other schools/nursing programs have you looked at recently? JMPO…but transferring schools/programs would be a better choice. Why give Towson anymore of your money for classes your DD doesn’t need or want? </p>

<p>^But it’s already April 1st. It’s very late in the game to be looking at transfers for next year, especially for a program like nursing. </p>

<p>Late for entering freshman but maybe not too late for transfers into 1+3 or 2+2 programs. If it were my daughter I would definitely look for ANY program that she could complete her BSN program instead of continuing on with a non nursing major at a school that won’t allow her into nursing.</p>

<p>BTW - don’t delayed entry programs usually “allow” you to re-take some of your classes and re-apply the following semester/year? That could be an option.</p>

<p>Neumann University in Aston, PA (just southwest of Philly) does take Nursing transfer students. You can apply on-line for free. It is competitive but not at the same level of major universities. You might want to check out their Nursing website. They boast of a 94% first time NCLEX passing rate for their grads which is excellent. Good luck.</p>

<p>Thanks everyone! She is thinking about transferring to East Carolina Univ. and applying for the spring semester nursing program there. Another option would be to come home and do the dual program with our local community college and NJ City University. I have no idea how that would work since she already has so many credits. One of her many friends who also didn’t get Into Towson’s program is going into a hospital based program for her RN. My dd said that is an option too. I have no idea how that would work if she did that and then went for her bachelors. I will tell her about Neumann. </p>

<p>There are some hospital based programs that partner with local colleges to do a bachelors. One is the PA. College of Health Sciences, which is run by Lancaster General Hospital. Last year they were still advertising for applicants in the spring. They have nice facilities and it is a great hospital system with two large modern hospital complexes. Lancaster is also a great historic city. </p>

<p>You might also look at Thomas Jefferson University in Phila, which is designed for transfers. </p>