Decorating ideas and tips for Dorm Room

<p>BamaMom2be‘s adorable elephants gave me an idea for a thread. Decorating ideas and tips. If you have ideas for dorm rooms, share it here for families worried about how to fit everything in, when their child starts to college at UA. Or give my DD ideas for next year’s room, lol.</p>

<p>Below are links to pics of my DD room at Riverside.

1. We used material made for women’s skirts to make the bed skirt. It was already gathered at the top. We just attached with Velcro. Leaves room for all her storage boxes under the bed.
  2. We put together 2 tall bookshelves and 1 short (for beside bed), very inexpensive at Walmart. We then used baskets for storage and put her tv, printer and dvd player on them.
  3. For the walls we ordered a removable quote to stick over her bed. The butterflies are just cut, laminated wrapping paper. Fold wings to make them 3d and attach with removable double sided tape.
  4. We attached a plant hanger to one of the bookcases and hung a metal lantern (found at thrift store), filled it with a couple of sticks and a small string of mini lights, wrapped the end of lights around hanger and taped to top of case (with an extension cord from back of case taped down too. When she plugs it in and turns off her over head lights, it looks like fireflies. She says its very mood soothing.
  5. Used a stretch dinning room chair cover for their desk chair.<br>
  6. And had bed steps made by husband.
  7. Covered old cork board DS used in college, with material and painted edges.
    I hope this helps someone.</p>

<p>[The</a> University of Alabama - Videos, Photos, and Visit Reports](<a href=“http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/vibe/the-university-of-alabama/?entry=image_0_ykxo0klg]The”>http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/vibe/the-university-of-alabama/?entry=image_0_ykxo0klg) </p>

<p>(sorry not sure if link works. there are 6 photos the same place bamamom2be uploaded hers. Im not good at this</p>

<p>It looks fabulous, cyntum! I really like the bedside storage with baskets. Nicely done.</p>

<p>That looks fabulous! I’ll share to share these photos with DD when she’s ready to start thinking about dorm decorations. Which will probably be after graduation next May!</p>

<p>Wow! Her room looks amazing!! Not sure if I could pull that off, but having the visual and instructions is super helpful. Thanks :)</p>

<p>Love the ideas and the pictures! I added a couple (at least I tried - they were from my phone so I apologize for the low quality). D is in Tutwiler so she doesn’t have much extra space. We were very surprised about what all would fit under the bed in the plastic drawer units with wheels. We used a company called Dorm Suite Dorm for the bedding and curtains. They are online and based in Birmingham. They have tons of fabrics to select from and know all of the different dimensions for each dorm at Bama and many other schools. </p>

<p>I think the headboards give the room a finished look and also make it so they can sit more easily on their bed to study. They are a hand-me-down from her roommate’s older sister. They just slipped right over the bedframe.</p>

<p>The other pic is of a bulletin board I made. I actually have made many of these for gifts over the years. It is an artists canvas covered with batting and then fabric. Grosgrain ribbon is attached and then where the ribbons intersect a button is sewn on. Normally the ribbon would criss cross the whole board, but we wanted the sorority letters on these so thye are made a little differently. They are attached to the wall with the 3M Command strips for pictures.</p>

<p>That’s a really put together room - you did a great job. That would probably be wasted on my D, because she’d have all the nice stuff buried under her junk! I love seeing pictures of actual dorm rooms, though. It helps in appreciating how nice these dorms are.</p>

<p>I know someone who lives in Riverside and he showed my friend and me his room when we visited the other day. He lofted his bed and put the dresser under it like a lot of people do, but he also put a lamp down there along with some pillows and stuff and made a study area below his bed. It was pretty cool, and I might do the same.</p>

<p>Looking fabulous. Wow what a difference when you have a girl. </p>

<p>My son’s room is soooooo minimal anything I suggest is “thanks but not needed”. Poor kid I never knew how much he must have suffered at home with me adding or changing things in his room. DH is visiting him today, so maybe he’ll see if they could use anything, maybe in the common area. Maybe I’ll be able to use some of these ideas in a few years with younger sis.</p>

<p>One of my favorite things is wall art, so I really like AllPosters.com. The selection is excellent. The prices are good (lots of stuff on sale). My son liked what I selected - and no, it was not all Alabama, either. Lots of travel stuff. Some movie posters.</p>

<p>I also recommend getting a set of curtains or a blackout panel for the window. It gives the room a more finished look, and it really darkens the place, especially in the early morning as my son does not have class until 10.</p>

<p>^ apparently the “finished look” is something DS is not concerned with! He has his bed stuff, bookcase, crates under the bed with school supplies… I think anything else I sent stayed packed :)</p>