Deep Springs 2023-2024 Discussion

AFAIK they’ve been a little lax with specific release times in the past so maybe not exactly that day? I’d guess at the very least it’d be by the 16th. Their website says the 15th, though, it’ll probably be out then i’d guess

Anyone know what you’ll do if you don’t get in?

@knoah is right in that they’re generally lax with specific release times. In previous years they would say mid-December, but last year I think it was also a decision date of Dec. 15. The thing is, unless you live on the West coast, don’t expect anything until the 16th though. Normally, acceptance letters are sent before rejection letters, acceptance letters sometime around 21:00 there time and rejection letters about 10:00 the next day their time.

Not 100% sure yet, but so far I’m planning on either taking an indefinite gap year, transferring to a different uni / alternative education programme, or just dropping out and gaining relevant work experience.

Have you guys heard of Thoreau College. It seems interesting. The guy who made it studied in deep springs too

Hey @Yo_Yo3 ,

Yeah, a couple of my friends from Deep Springs have actually been to Thoreau. In fact, when Covid first started in early 2020 and the DS campus was effectively shut down, a few of the SB went to Thoreau for a semester exchange. The people that went had great things to say about the holistic farming and community experience, saying that it was not a bad option for a gap year. That being said, they also noted that it was a lot different from DS - most of the students were more camplike and less intellectual compared to the general SB, moreover, the lack of self-governance also limited the experience.

One day to go! How is everyone feeling?

Hi all! I completely forgot about this thread. How are we feeling? I’m soooooo nervous about tomorrow. Best of luck to you guys!! I wonder if there is a significantly lower number of applicants this year due to covid. I suppose it’s plausible that people wouldn’t want to spend 2 years in isolation after having 2 years of it already, lol! The number is probably the same, but it sucks that the thread isn’t as lively as past years. Hopefully more will be active tonight and we can start a little convo or something to ease our minds! im trying my hardest to be social, as i’ve been lonely the past month, so this is an attempt!

Omg it is insane how we pretty much posted a response asking the same thing at the same time, lol! i find that all the applicants ive talked to this year are weirdly alike, and i think its so cool. im verrryyyy anxious so i made avocado toast and it calmed me down :crossed_fingers:t4:

haha yeah, serendipitous encounter i guess. What do you mean about the applicants all being alike though? I haven’t talked to anyone outside this thread, so I don’t feel like I have a very strong sense of the ‘vibe’ for this year’s applicants. Also, avocado toast, very tasty lol

I also like avocado toast haha so I guess we have that in common. But yeah, I also haven’t talked to any other applicants this year. What are y’all like? I almost can’t believe the results are coming out in less than 24 now.

ive looked up deep springs on multiple platforms to see what the other applicants are like. i have immense social anxiety and i usually browse communities of prospective students for schools i’m interested in so that making friends is a little bit easier. so far, everyone i’ve talked to is quite a bit similar, but of course, thats only a very small percentage of applicants. i think its very interesting how deep springs attracts a very niche group of people. however, i do get the feeling that some most are a bit scared of being themselves because they fear the adcom is watching and may think badly of them. i don’t think it’s unreasonable, but it is certainly something that most applicants on here share. no matter, though, i think its always good to show a little personality beyond what adcom wants to see.

i really really love cats and i rescue them, and its pretty much my main personality trait, lol! i also really love chem, physics, math, and poetry. i’ve been learning about pure math, though and its so so cool, like its basically just philosophy and i never knew. ive been doing slam poetry since i was 12/13, which is very uncharacteristic of me, but i tend to do things that are out of my comfort zone in hopes of becoming less reserved. i love to play just dance in my free time. im agnostic, and i love björk. i think that pretty much sums me up. what about you?

just got rejected!

I made the the second round!

1 Like

got rejected

Congratulate!
You did good job!
and what’s the second round essay?

yeah,what’s the second round questions.

I have as well! Congratulations!! I’d love to do an in person interview and hope to be able to. Maybe we will see each other! I’m very very excited.

So exciting!