deferral

Bing was one of my top schools but I got deferred a couple of days ago. I have a 3.6 gpa, 1900 sat, 5 APs, tons of extracurricular activities, volunteer hours in a hospital overseas, great recommendations, and I thought my essay was okay but everyone who read it got goosebumps or teared up so I’m guessing it was a little more than okay. Really didn’t think I’d get deferred but then again, people with credentials more impressive than mine got deferred as well so I shouldn’t be surprised. As far as RD goes, do you guys think I have a shot at getting in? Trying to remain hopeful :frowning:

You have great grades and scores, you have a good chance of getting in! If it is really a top choice for you, why not email your Bing admissions counselor, and let them know!

Naturally nobody but admissions officers can no for certain but it is possible that a university defers students who they think have credentials that suggest the student is using the school as a safety. A deferral allows time for students to “show interest” while not holding a slot they are unlikely to take. Over 75% of students who got Binghamton offers last year declined them. They may be trying to be more careful about who they extend offers to. If so, writing and expressing interest may help.