Deferred and so upset

<p>I am an out of stater from NY. I have about a 3.6-3.7 unweighted GPA (with 7 AP's by the end of highschool) with a 1880 SAT (570 V, 640 M, 670 W/11 essay). I got a letter in the mail saying that "After careful review and consideration by our Committee on Admissions, we have postponed a final decision on your application for admission to the University of Wisconsin-Madison. To ensure continued consideration of your application, you must do two things: Submit your mid-year senior grades and any new test scores as soon as they are available." (Yada yada yada). I am very shocked I got deferred. I sent in my application on November 2, which wasn't too late at all, it would be actually pretty early. I REALLY want to go to Wisconsin. What can I do to ensure acceptance? I am very upset about this. I have to write 3 more essays and do a whole new application for "postponed students". I will do whatever it takes to get in? Anyone have any ideas, it will be MUCH appreciated!!! Thanks</p>

<p>what were ur extra curriculars/essays/teacher recs like??? also is that 3.6-3.7 only academic classes?? How strong is your high school?</p>

<p>You shouldn't be shocked. Wisconsin is a good school and no one with a 1210 deserves to get in.</p>

<p>btw, 1210 is not ur best sitting, ur best sitting was 1190 correct? if i were you i would retake the SATs or try acts</p>

<p>yeah but it's funny how my best friend with a 1260 and 3.4 weighted GPA with 3-4 AP classes and basically NO e.c.'s or anything got in last year (He took SAT 3 or 4 times). 1210 is my highest composite and 1190 was my highest sitting but most schools look at highest composite. Wisconsin looks at GPA mostly. 3.6 unweighted in all core classes. My teacher recs were good and I wrote my essay on being an allstate vocalist and how i would do it in college. Hopefully the 3 other essays I will write for the delayed applicant pool will help me.</p>

<p>also wisconsin looks at new writing score on SAT (i called admissions and they said they do as much as other sctions so dont argue otherwise. I got over 90th percent tile in writing and 11 on essay is almost the best you can get) Im also an allstate singer, 4 time allcounty singer, allcounty wrestler, captain of wrestling team, etc.</p>

<p>they look at the writing score!?!? ouch that is gonna hurt me</p>

<p>How will results from the writing assessments be used in making admission decisions?
The new writing tests give us one more indicator to consider when making our admission decisions. Because both the writing section of the SAT and the ACT Assessment Plus Writing are new, we will continue to evaluate our use of the tests in the admission process. As results and data from the new tests are accumulated, we will have a better understanding of how the results will factor into our admission decisions. At this time we do not plan to use writing test results to make course placement decisions.</p>

<p>****doesnt that mean that they will NOT be considering the writing section for admissions this year???</p>

<p>almost every school takes composite.</p>

<p>The following stats are from <a href="http://www.wisc.edu:%5B/url%5D"&gt;www.wisc.edu:&lt;/a&gt;&lt;/p>

<p>Profile of Admitted Freshmen</p>

<p>Here are the general qualifications of our admitted students. These figures are not cutoffs. They are the middle 50% range for each indicator, so 25% of admitted students fell below the range and 25% placed above it.</p>

<p>Rank: 85-96th percentile</p>

<p>GPA: 3.5-3.9</p>

<p>ACT: 26-30</p>

<p>SAT: 1180-1350</p>

<p>These stats suggest that you are at the low end of the middle 50% range, perhaps not even at approximately the 33rd percentile of admitted students. Therefore you are by no means a lock to be admitted and your deferral should not come as a surprise. </p>

<p>Do as they ask, continue to show a lot of interest, have or get a safety school or two, and good luck in the Spring!</p>

<p>Just do what they tell you to do and cross fingers...not much else you can do now.</p>

<p>
[quote]
1210 is my highest composite and 1190 was my highest sitting but most schools look at highest composite.

[/quote]
</p>

<p>Wisconsin takes highest single sitting, same policy as a lot of other state universities (e.g., Michigan).</p>

<p>They may want to see how you do with the hard courses you are taking this fall.</p>

<p>beprepn</p>

<p>does UW look at writing score?????</p>

<p>I hope...its my highest score.</p>

<p>It also depends which high school you go to in ny. I got in with a bad gpa but 1410 sats.</p>

<p>Jim Shaw, how low is "bad gpa"? I guess by college admissions standards, my 3.3 is "bad". I go to a college prep school with grade deflation. Perhaps, like you, my 1500 will make up.</p>

<p>well, in a highly competitive school (Stuy), I have an 85.6 in the final transcript i received</p>

<p>= I guess around a 3.1? Yea, my HS is a competitive private prep school with plenty of Ivy acceptances etc. But Wisc doesn't have any prior relationship with my school because noone has applied before. Whatever, we'll see.</p>

<p>AHHH 85 percentile is median admission?!??! Well, Looks like i will be going to illy :(</p>