Deferred from Engineering Program, do I stand a chance? If so, what can I do to bolster it?

Stats:
Hispanic | In-state | Male
GPA: 3.9
SAT: 1350 [Math 760 | English 590]

Classes related to Major: Basic Tech Draw, Arch Drawing, STEM Engineering, IB Design Tech, IB Physics 1, IB Math SL2.

Extra Curricular Activities: Robotics Club, ACE Mentoring, Track and Field, National Honor Society, Math Honor Society, Social Studies Honor Society, Spanish Honor Society, and Art Honor Society.

I moved to the United States 6 years ago without knowing any English, hence my English SAT score.
Is it possible for me to retake the SAT and submit another score? And will this modification increase my changes for the Engineering college?
I have also read some posts that I should email the college about their decision, to what extent is this true?

Thanks,

Honestly, just kick ass in terms of your grades and sew what happens. Your stats are in the ballpark for engineering.

I compared your stats to those on VT’s IR&E and I think that your GPA might have brought you down as well, since the 25th percentile GPA score for Hispanic freshmen is 3.92 (for last year). That, along with your low SAT Reading/English score, must have factored into your deferral.

If retaking the SAT isn’t an option, I’d look into sending an appeal if I were you, just to demonstrate that VT is among your top choices. Also, don’t forget to apply to other colleges in the meantime. If VT deferred you, I wouldn’t just bank on them accepting you in the regular decision round.

Don’t give up, it’s very easy to get discouraged by a deferral, especially from a school you want to go to. The fact that you take engineering-related classes like STEM Engineering and have diverse EC’s is very impressive. You should definitely focus on that in your other college apps, even possibly in your appeal to VT.

Best of luck!

Some helpful links:
VT’s IR&E: https://irweb.ir.vt.edu/webtest/FreshmenSummary.aspx
VT Application Policies (+ appeal info): https://vt.edu/admissions/undergraduate/apply/policies.html

Thanks for the feedback on the appeal and the rest of the info! The IR&E site was a great resource