Deferred...

<p>I finally checked my UW status to see that I have been "postponed" and will be receiving a letter in the mail in three to five days.</p>

<p>ACT 28
GPA (this is approximate my school uses a different system not out of 4.0 so I am not sure how accurate this is) 3.4 UW
Top 20% of class
Lots of extra curriculars/community service
Good recommendation and essay
Sent in all my transcript and scores in early October</p>

<p>I know my stats are lower than the average for Madison..</p>

<p>Does anyone have any advice as how to improve my chances now?
I know I need to continue working extra hard this marking period.</p>

<p>The best way to improve your chances is to improve your GPA. Show them how bad you want to go there by getting those grades up. Also, I've heard sending in an extra letter of rec can help, IF it can relay some different info about you than the previous ones did. Perhaps have a community leader write about how you would contribute to the university.</p>

<p>Also, re-take the ACT. It will show determination to improve, and you can't go wrong with that extra effort. Best of luck.</p>

<p>I just read on the sight that additional essays, recs, interviews, etc. are not considered if you get postponed/deferred. Get solid grades 1st semester, take the Dec. ACT standby, and hope for the best. Good luck.</p>

<p>I don't want to add insult to injury but it's going to be really hard to get accepted now. Do what the people above said and DO IT!!! Work hard right now because this is now or never. You can either procrastinate and do everything with little effort or give it all you got.
Some encouraging advice: buy Barron's ACT prep. I had a 28 ACT, studied with Barrons for a month or less even, and I now have a 32! Good luck man!</p>

<p>sub: they say that, but i know people who've gotten deferred here, and they got in later they believe, due to the fact that they DID send additional recs, etc. in. it's worth a shot, you have nothing to lose and everything to gain. good luck!</p>

<p>I thought this might be helpful to you.</p>

<p><a href="http://www.admissions.wisc.edu/images/UW_Postponed_Applicant_FAQ.pdf%5B/url%5D"&gt;http://www.admissions.wisc.edu/images/UW_Postponed_Applicant_FAQ.pdf&lt;/a&gt;&lt;/p>

<p>Thanks everyone for the advice! I have been working much harder this quarter, I'm probably going to get another letter of recommendation. I'm just trying to stay hopeful at this point. Good luck to everyone else!</p>

<p>I think you were pretty close and just need a little more to make it. Keep working. Instate or OOS?</p>

<p>On average, over recent years, 50% of the postponed applicants have been admitted. I know I work there. You're in the game.</p>

<p>Wow 50%!? That's pretty high. Isn't postponed = deferred?</p>

<p>Also, call and verify that everything they have (especially the recs, ecs, and test scores) are correct. A relative of mine's dad called when he was deferred and found that they actually had someone else's stuff and he was then admitted.</p>

<p>Good luck!</p>

<p>
[quote]
Isn't postponed = deferred

[/quote]

Technically no. While both are used as part of "yield management", they are quite different. </p>

<p>Adcom postpones a qualified candidate (usually within the 75-25 range) so they can better access where the candidate stands once all the applications are received at the end of rolling admission period. This is done to hedge against a large number of late and top-qualified applicants. UW postpones a fairly large percentage of an incoming class and accepts many after 2/1.</p>

<p>On the other hand, a deferred candidate can only get in if and only if enough admitted students decide not to enroll.</p>

<p>btp12, if I were you, I will get in touch with your admission counselor and discuss how you can better improve your standing by addressing the "weaknesses" in your file. Then send periodic update to your admission counselor as you work through the check list. Hopefully as history will repeat itself, your progress and hard work will impress him/her and get you over the top. Good luck!</p>

<p>I'm out of state, and yeah I've been trying to pick up my grades even more this past quarter..</p>

<p>And my decision was techinically called "postponed"..I'm pretty sure the letter said I should receive my decision by March 15.</p>

<p>dallas im pretty sure you're confusing deferred and waitlisted</p>

<p>I trust Dallas' assessment. This is rolling admissions.</p>

<p>Please allow me to clarify my earliest post. </p>

<p>For many colleges, "deferred" means an application is evaluated in future round (i.e. EA/ED -> RD) while "waitlist" means an application is reconsidered, space-permitting, after a decision acceptance date. </p>

<p>UW not longer exercise the "deferred" practice as there have been more than enough qualified candidates from the rolling admission round for years. </p>

<p>All admissible candidates are separated into two pools - clear admit and "postponed". Note the keyword is "admissible". Hence, a large number of postponed candidates eventually get admitted. The postponed candidates, who do not get admitted, are usually offered placement on the "extended wait list" and/or other alternative admission arrangement. </p>

<p>The current system has been fine tuned such that postpone-caliber candidates will very likely get the same admission outcome whether their files are evaluated on 9/15 or 2/1, all things equal.</p>

<p>Nevertheless, postponed applicants has a distinct advantage that they can seek feedback on what's holding them and maximize the time between now and 2/1 to address their specific areas of concern. A favorable outcome often comes down a small number of factors (sometime just one!). Also keep in mind, a little improvement plus demonstrabled effort and interest will go a long way. </p>

<p>Hope this helps.</p>

<p>Dallas, how do you seek the feedback on what's holding you?</p>

<p>mhc48. Contact the admission office to find out your admission counselor. </p>

<p>When you speak to him/her, express your interest at UW and ask (very nicely) what additional steps you can take to improve your candidacy. Many counselors will be very candid - so don't take the feedback personally. Be proactive but respect their time and don't be a pest. Update your counselor on <em>major</em> accomplishment (not love letter). </p>

<p>Bottom line, you want your counselor to be your champion/advocate when your file is reviewed in the adcom meeting.</p>

<p>Got postponed today, OOS 3.6 UW 1410/2170...Probably because of my poor class rank (not even in top quarter, really competitive school). I'm a little bummed but oh well, I suppose it's better than getting flat out rejected. Just sucks I have to wait even longer now...</p>