Degree Works/Registration

<p>Does the plan in Degree Works restrict what classes you can register for? </p>

<p>For example, I had planned on taking FR 101 this coming semester when I went over my plan with my advisor. I’ve since decided to take Spanish instead and to add a fine arts credit. Will I be able to sign up for Spanish and the fine arts class during spring registration even if they aren’t in my plan in Degree Works? Or do I actually have to meet with my advisor again to unlock my plan and change it so I can sign up for those courses?</p>

<p>**Every student HAS to meet **with an advisor to have their registration unlocked. Once that is done, you can still sign up for any elective that you want. DegreeWorks won’t stop that. </p>

<p>DegreeWorks is a planning tool. It doesn’t stop you from taking various classes because you might just be taking a class for fun/interest or starting a minor.</p>

<p>Reminder: After you meet with your advisor, check on MyBama to make SURE that your registration did get UNLOCKED (this may not happen until after 5pm…but do check! One semester, the advisor forgot to lift my son’s registration hold and luckily we discovered the problem the day before he registered…otherwise he would not have gotten to register at his 7am time and wouldn’t have likely gotten into a particular class time that he wanted.</p>

<p>Thanks mom2collegekids. </p>

<p>I have met with my advisor, I’ve just changed the classes I’m planning on registering for since then (though I’m still fulfilling general ed requirements with those changes, so they don’t really matter). I was just concerned because I went into Degree Works to modify the classes I’m planning on taking and it said that my plan was “locked,” so I wasn’t sure if this would interfere with signing up for those classes.</p>

<p>How do you check if your registration is unlocked?</p>

<p>*How do you check if your registration is unlocked? *</p>

<p>On MyBama…go to where you register for classes…click on that. If you’re hold has been lifted, it will say so and it will say when your registration time is.</p>

<p>*I went into Degree Works to modify the classes I’m planning on taking and it said that my plan was “locked,” *</p>

<p>I have never heard of this, so maybe SEA_Tide can chime in with an explanation.</p>

<p>If SEA_Tide doesn’t respond, send an email to your advisor and ask about your changed desired schedule. Be sure to include your CWID.</p>

<p>I hadn’t noticed that specific feature of DegreeWorks before, but am getting the same message that an advisor needs to approve any changes to the course planner.</p>

<p>The question that arises is if you are allowed to choose different classes than you put on your registration paper, which you are allowed to do. Don’t worry so much about DegreeWorks being correct; the registration system is not connected to the planning feature as doing so would cause a lot of headaches when students decide to take courses different from what was originally in their plan.</p>

<p>Thanks SEA_Tide…</p>

<p>I knew that DegreeWorks isn’t directly tied to one’s ability to register, but I had never heard of this “lock” thing before.</p>

<p>That said, the student still needs to check on MyBama to make sure his Registration Hold was lifted.</p>

<p>I clicked in “registration status” under Rgistration Tools in the Student tab and selected the term “Spring 2012 (View Only)”. The page said “This term is not available for Registration processing. Please select another term or return to the menu and choose a different option.” Does that mean my Registration Hold hasn’t been lifted?</p>

<p>Chalaque~ D’s says the same thing. She got an email from her department saying she was clear for registration, so we are hoping there won’t be a problem.</p>

<p>1.) Click on Student Tab
2.) Click on Student Services
3.) Click on Student Records
4.) Click on View Holds to find out the info you wanted</p>

<p>So if under the View Holds window it says “No holds exist on your record” will I be able to register for classes? I haven’t gotten an email saying I’m clear for registration, so the fact that my registration status for Spring 2012 says “Ths is term is not available for Registration processing” is making me concerned.</p>

<p>My son has never received an e-mail, and has always been able to register as long as there were “no holds”.</p>

<p>I wouldn’t worry about not getting an email. My D is an art major and they probably do things a little different than your more popular UA majors :slight_smile:
And she has the same message about not being available to process.</p>

<p>The times that a student can register are listed under the registrars link from the student tab. Can’t remember is earned credits include those transferred in from AP/DC classes or not???</p>

<p>I think it only includes the credits that have transferred in as you would not have completed any in residence. Please correct me if I am wrong.</p>

<p>Transferred credits count…and AP/IB credits count. The credits in the current semester do not count since they aren’t completed.</p>

<p>So, if you’re an first semester frosh, then you would only count your AP and transferred DE credits.</p>