DegreeWorks & Finish in Four

<p>DS is double-majoring (History and Classics), which means he has a TON of major-related requirements to fill.</p>

<p>Well, here’s the problem. He is taking upper-level Latin and Greek courses (LA 301/302 and GR 301/302). These course numbers do not change from year to year. There are relatively few kids taking these courses (especially Greek!!), so the professors really can’t offer a wide range of upper-level classes. Instead, they change the subject matter for LA 301/302 and GR 301/302 from year to year – basically for the same bunch of kids, who continue through the four years. E.g., last year LA 301 consisted of medieval Latin, while LA 302 (spring semester) covered Catullus and Martial. Next semester, LA 301 will cover the philosophical writings of Cicero. But it will still be LA 301. </p>

<p>Because of this, DegreeWorks will count the Fall 2012 LA 301 as a repeat of the Fall 2011 LA 301. So, DS gets no additional credits, even though he is actually taking a different course – Cicero vs. medieval Latin. And this will be so throughout at least two to three years of undergraduate study. (The 400-level Latin and Greek courses are for REALLY advanced undergrads and graduate students.)</p>

<p>So, he’s fulfilling his major requirements but not getting credit for it. How, then, can he “finish in four”?</p>

<p>Ack. Any guidance will be greatly appreciated.</p>

<p>Thanks!</p>

<p>Diane</p>

<p>You need to coordinate this with the Registrar’s office. The lady there will either already know this and fix it, or contact the dept and then fix it. </p>

<p>That said, Degree Works is not the “grad check”…the Registrar’s office is. They determine if he “Finishes in Four” when they sign off on his Grad Check …which happens the semester BEFORE graduation.</p>

<p>I’m sure that is just a DegreeWorks glitch - it’s just not equipped to deal with every situation. I’m sure your son is getting credit for the courses whether that credit is showing up in Degree Works or not - just have him confirm it with his advisor.</p>

<p>This kind of thing happens with odd stuff. We had to have the Registrar’s office fix a situation where the two CBH classes that have the C designation don’t get counted…so it gets fixed manually.</p>

<p>Thanks!! As usual, y’all are the BEST!!</p>

<p>(On another topic: Hope to have the computer problem fixed, too…have contacted Dell AND Dean Sharpe and have heard back from Dean Sharpe. One problem is that the computer does NOT have a serial number on the bottom, just a blank white strip. As I mentioned before, it also didn’t come with documentation. I’m thinking it was an “extra,” not part of the regular batch, which may be the source of all the problems! Anyway, following Dean Sharpe’s advice, I am calling the IT crew tomorrow. Thanks again for everyone’s great advice.)</p>