Delbarton School in Morristown NJ

So my son got into Delbarton Seventh Grade. Only prep school we had any interest in at this Grade level. My understanding from them is that they had a “record” number of applicants this year for Grade 7, which by my calc based on prior available spec info hovered anywhere north of 110-120+ (nowhere near scientific), and assuming 30-36 enrolled, thats a min 25% acceptance rate. Does that sound typical?

Also, it appears the tuition has literally doubled since 2008. Does that also sound typical for prep schools generally, including in or around NJ?

Many thanks,

1 Like

private school in this area is around $46k. If your son is already accepted, why do you care about the percentage. Do you think that qualifies as prestige? Delbarton has an excellent reputation, regardless of the percentage accepted.

Doubling since 2008 is probably in the ballpark, maybe a little high.

The biggest costs every school deals with relate to personnel, so if salaries, health insurance, and rent/real estate in the area have gone up, tuition will too.

Most (all?) of the boys I know who have gone there have been athletes and it was a good experience for them.

Delbarton School. Accessed October 1, 2011. “Tuition for the 2011-12 academic year is $27,800.00. Tuition is all-inclusive and covers such items as a daily hot lunch, technology costs, and activity fees.”

Tuition now $43,800.

Not impossible that tuition in 2008 was $21,900 but cannot location that data. This was as close as I could find.

thanks it’s now 45 and change for next year. thought I saw it as like 23 in 08.

1 Like

That aligns with other day schools in the northeast.

Delbarton recently completed a major addition and renovation of Trinity hall. It provides incremental teaching areas and state of the art communal facilities.

It is directly adjacent to the drama and arts center. Delbarton certainly emphasizes athletics but the arts are equally valued and supported.

Lastly, Delbarton is in the last stages of completing a 30,000 sq foot field house for the football and lacrosse teams. This is on top of the preexisting field house on the other side of campus that is used by baseball, soccer and rugby teams.

To provide some perspective Delbarton’s campus is 200 acres and sits adjacent to a protected preserve while Georgetowns campus (often referred to as Delbarton south given the matriculation stats) is 104 acres.

I would strongly suggest you have your student attend classes for a day and see if the experience informs his decision.

On campus you will hear a variety of mottos, words and phrases often repeated.

At Delbarton Succisa Virescit, brotherhood, and body mind spirit are not just words they are guiding principals that the students embrace and live by. It’s not for everyone but the school is a special place for those that buy in.

One great tradition is that only seniors are allowed to walk through the senior gardens adjacent to the fountain. Senior year you can enjoy the area surrounding the fountains. Upon graduation everyone gets wet.

3 Likes