Denied/Program Competitiveness What should I do?!? Appeal the denial?

Hey guys,
I recently got denied from Purdue engineering and I really, REALLY want to go there. I have a junior year GPA of a 3.33, a fall senior of a 3.62, an sat of 2120 with a 1600 score of 1440, and an act of 33 and i spent most of my time in extracurriculars (3 sports plus the head of the engineering club among alot of others). I don’t really know why I got rejected and it was my top attainable choice and I really want to go there next year. What should I do? and how does the appeal process work and would it work for my circumstances and what would I need to provide? Also if you’ve been in this position or are going through it tell me what to do. Also is there any way to get an interview?
Thank you!!!

I’m not even sure it’s possible once they have sent you a denial notification. Send them an email and find out. Most won’t entertain a re-review though. P is very prestigious in engineering. The other successful applicants probably had higher GPAs. It’s tough to get in.

Edit: this is the “how”
http://www.admissions.purdue.edu/change/

Thanks for the response! For my denial it was due to “Program Compettiveness” it wasn’t a “flat out denial” so would I have a chance if I were to remain within engineering but change my “area of interest” from mechanical to aeronautical or undecided or would that just be a waste of time… the only reason I am entertaining these options is because Purdue is or was my “dream school.”

For that, you should call them. That denial is a flat “no” for all of Purdue. They tell you this on their website. It is a denial, and a reason for it. I’m not sure it will help if you don’t have new info or an explanation of something already reviews.

I think all of engineering is very competitive isn’t it?

Very true…thanks a ton for your input!

I’m not sure about the field. As a current FYE student at Purdue, everybody gets poured into the same program regardless of what they have chosen at the time of application. And most people end up changing their desired majors… If it isn’t a flat out no, maybe you could try to appeal? Call the office and see what they can do from there ! Best of luck. Hope to see you here next fall.

I had the same reject reason ‘Denied/Academic Expectations’. I had originally wanted to apply for Software Engineering as Major, but there was no option to select SE, instead chose Computer Science. I am aware their CE is very competitive. Now, I am planning to appeal for reconsideration. I have a 3.43 GPA, ACT 29, software internship and other ECs. How do I make sure they consider me for Software Engineering? I was also told I could apply to other campuses like Polytechnic Institute that are relatively easy. Thank you.

@LKPUTRA I’m not sure but im definitely going to call them to first of all find out where I fell short and what I can do if anything to get myself in and I honestly suggest that as the best path for us… straight from the horses mouth.

@clo513 Thanks a ton! From your experience how is Purdue… is it worth it and what were your high school stats that got you in? I’m not really sure if an appeal will get me in because of the whole “extenuating circumstances” aspect but your response really means alot!

@satya17 , I chose Purdue over BU, and Canadian schools such as UBC, UT, UWATERLOO (I’m from Canada). Although in terms o ranking, all the above schools (or most of them), are ranked much higher than Purdue, after a semester, I have no regrets of choosing Purdue over them. The academics is pretty similar (from what I heard through friends attending other schools), but I think what stands out in Purdue is the comfortable and welcoming environment. Everyone on campus makes you feel at home and almost everyone I’ve met has appeared extremely studious, so it’s a very inspirational and empowering experience. In addition, there are more opportunities than I initially sought out to be- study abroad/work/volunteer- I’m sure you can find these on their website. I’ve developed a lot of (good) new habits and become more studious than I ever was after a semester here.
Here are my stats from my application last year:
SAT-2030 MATH 800/ reading and writing about 600
GPA- I did the IB program which didn’t use a GPA scale, but the rough conversion leades to 3.85 unweighted. My IB score was 39/45. Generally 40+ is what Ivy League applicants aim for.

Extra curricular activities-
-Cheer (5 years) captain (2 years)
-competitive badminton (5 years) captain (3 years)
-student council (4 years) Vice President (1 year)
-theatre volunteer (2 years)
-worked as a tutor hired by a big company (senior year)
-year long humanitarian project (raised 25k and traveled to the destination for 2 weeks)

That’s about it. I’ve met people with way higher stats than that of mine, but also people which much lower stats… So I’m not really sure how the selection process works. I hope that you keep trying to reach out to the office to see if anything can be done. Purdue is a place with a number of incredible opportunities that I’d hope you wouldn’t miss out on. Feel free to ask me any questions whenever you need!