Denison Class of 2027 Official Thread

Thank you! How has your daughter’s experience been? Access to profs, dorms, food, career advising? Appreciate the first-hand insight!

2 Likes

150 miles away: Google Maps

1 Like

As others have said, Denison is a wonderful and transformative place. My daughter has developed close relationships with her professors and has built a varied friend group of nice “kids”. She’s premed and the premed advising has been outstanding. Also, the University President is a rock star. He is accessible and actually knows the students. I can’t say enough positive things about the opportunities Denison has provided for my Daughter.

3 Likes

That’s wonderful to hear. I have listened to a few interviews with the president and have been blown away. He speaks a lot about mindfulness and meditation as it’s a big part of his own life and I love the example he is setting.

2 Likes

So happy to hear about the pre-med advising! Best of luck to your daughter !

1 Like

Hi,

My daughter was accepted a couple weeks ago RD Denison .

We have been twice for short visits along with other Ohio schools and she wants to go back to an admitted students event.

She is interested in Denison’s musical theater options and is undecided with her major.

She loves the feeling and setting of Kenyon and was also recently admitted there. She also got a nice scholarship to Wooster and loves the vibe there.

She is really considering what is more important: having her favorite options available for musical theater or the other factors and else where in OHio.

All three have different financial considerations: wooster / best deal.

We are from Missouri. She is waitlisted at American , got into others less competitive and less enticing for her: Depauw- too greek, knox too small, Iowa too big, etc

We will probably cancel knox admitted day snd go to denison event april 6/7.

Anyone going?

Also anyone have anything on deinson non- greek life ( where my Daughter prob would be)

Hi, my daughter is going to Denison but we live in Wooster and I am friends with Wooster professors and staff. Let me know if I can help answer any questions about Wooster in general. Wooster is amazing in so many ways. And so is denison! There really is no wrong choice here. Best wishes!

2 Likes

My son applied ED2 and was accepted as a recruited athlete for football at Denison. Super excited! We are from Virginia.

3 Likes

We would love to chat as soon as possible about Denison and Wooster

We need to move this conversation forward.
Im unsure how to exchange contact information here.

I’m not sure either but feel free to reach out with questions here

Mom of a current first-year student-athlete here - happy to try and answer questions of folks interested in Denison!

1 Like

How does your student like it so far? My daughter is going in the fall and we are so excited

It has been a great experience so far from a social, athletic and academic perspective. I have been very impressed in particular with the academic advising structure and guidance they have given him in that arena. We have also had a chance to meet a number of Denison kids on his teams (XC and track) and just have loved how down-to-earth and mature they all are.

2 Likes

My daughter unprompted told me there was an accepted student event today at Denison. She said there were so many students, many more than when she went 4 years ago. She also indicated she met a few of the prospective students and their families and all seemed “super nice”.

Denison seems to do a good job at identifying students that add to the Denison experience as well as reflecting well on the university. Just wanted to share my daughters feedback.

1 Like

Great to hear. I have a younger son who’s really interested in running xc and track in college. Was it pretty competitive to make the xc team at Denison?

1 Like

When we were just there, a professor told me they may increase to 2500 students. Building more residential housing in the future.

2 Likes

I can’t speak to how difficult it is to make the xc team at Denison, but my son has run track at Denison for the past four years, and it has been a tremendous experience for him. My son is not an extremely fast runner, but the sport is important to him and he made the decision to accept Denison’s offer after meeting Coach FitzPatrick and members of the team when we visited the campus. It’s a very friendly and cohesive team, and it is also a team on the move, with results improving every year - I think it is fun for the runners to be part of a team that has that kind of trajectory. The support from the trainers and sports medicine team is also first-rate - they brought my son back successfully from a significant injury a few years ago, and he still seems to spend time with them every day (I don’t know how he’s going to manage without this entourage after graduation!). The NCAC is also a good conference - most of the schools in the conference are also small, academically rigorous LACs and they are all within easy commuting distance.

I asked my son about the housing situation, as it has been mentioned a few times here. He is a tour guide, so I was guessing he might be getting a lot of housing questions. He told me the school is going to expand King Hall, where he lived as a sophomore. It is on South Quad, near the arts complex. He and his roommates were placed there after being unable to secure a triple on East Quad, and they ended up liking it so much they stayed on South Quad for junior year as well.

2 Likes

Such great info! Thanks for sharing. My son is a distance runner but only a sophomore so he has time. I just always get the impression that their sports programs are more competitive than other D3 schools so I wasn’t sure how difficult it would be to get a spot on the team. That is so wonderful to hear how they got him back from injury.

My son is a sprinter, so I’m not sure about the xc teams in terms of recruits/walkons, but if your son is interested in Denison and you decide to visit the school, I suggest you get in touch with Coach Fitz and ask for an opportunity to talk about the team and what role your son might play. We actually contacted the coaches at all of the schools my son was seriously interested in and found that the perspective they provided on their schools was an invaluable complement to what we learned from Admissions. My son always asked, for example, what a typical day might look like for a member of the track team and got a lot of good information with that one. With regards to Denison, they do take athletics seriously, but the focus is always on participation and what it means to be a student athlete. It’s not a rah rah school like OSU down the road (although Denison’s new sprints coach is an OSU grad who broke Jesse Owen’s record in the 100m).

1 Like

At what point did your son start contacting coaches? Junior year? Thanks again, your insight had been incredibly helpful.