Denison University Early Decision entering Fall of 2024

Starting the thread for ED1 and ED2 for Denison.

My S24 was accepted tonight with a 25K merit. I was expecting the decision in a few weeks so a nice Thanksgiving surprise.

9 Likes

Big congrats on merit with ED. Always a nice gift.

While fresh in my mind here are some stats told at the open house in November.

ED1 - 90% of applicants are recruited athletes
ED2 - 10% of applicants are recruited athletes

ED apps from 2022 to 2023 went up 46%. No data on the class of 2024.

Overall 2023 ED acceptance rate was approximately 25%. When asked what that percentage is after backing out athletes, he thought maybe 20% acceptance rate for non-athletes.

Also in ED rounds, about 30 Questbridge kids and 20’ish Ohio students with great need (part of a program funded by a donor).

The supplemental essay is sent out in January - so for RD kids, maybe ED2?

Last year’s RD acceptance rate was 15.7%.

Overall class of 2023 acceptance rate was 17%,

1 Like

My S24 was also accepted, however he is a recruited athlete. Was still nice to have it early! And we knew about his merit award beforehand, but definitely glad to have it be official.

3 Likes

Same for S24!!!

Would a COA of 30 K be considered good?

That is entirely dependent on the family and their individual finances. Some would be delighted paying 30K and others would be worried. Personally I think 30K is a great COA!

My DD24 was admitted ED1 and is so excited to attend. What are best majors for gaining employment afer graduation?

1 Like

My D '24 was just admitted ED. We would aprreciate any insight into housing at Denison. Is there a lottery? First child to go to college so this is all new!

From what I have read, students do not pick a dorm but can pick a roommate. However, they do fill out a form with preferences (I assume, “are you messy or tidy, night owl or morning person…”) and the preferences include which dorm. But actual dorm rooms are assigned to them, so that takes some pressure off.

1 Like

They have the option of going “rando” (teen speak for being assigned a random roommate) or choosing. From the housing section of the Denison website: You will answer a lot of questions in the form; questions about how you like to live and socialize (clean and organized or messy and relaxed?). And you’ll have the option of choosing your roommates, or ask us to match you with people who have similar preferences. It’s important to answer each question honestly!

Then there is this regarding dorms: Anticipated First-Year Communities are Crawford Hall, Smith Hall, Shorney Halls, and Beta House. In your housing preference form, please rank your preference. You will not be able to request specific halls.

My S24 is playing lacrosse there and plans to room with another player.

My gosh, I must have mixed Denison up with Bucknell. We were visiting both the last week before ED decisions were due. I see that now about picking roommates! I edited my earlier answer. No telling what else I have backward.

No worries, it gets confusing for sure. My son has been committed to Dension for lacrosse since mid August, so I’ve had lots of time to read up on it! LOL.

My daughter is a lax '24 as well! Thanks for the insight into the housing. Did you find this on their website or from a current student?