Departmental Scholarships

<pre><code>I read on the College of Arts and Sciences website that the departmental scholarships all share one application, which i filled out recently. I will be majoring in Biological Sciences, and I hope to get one of the departmental scholarships. If I filled out the default scholarship application on the myBama homepage, will I automatically be considered based on my declared major? I will already be receiving the Presidential Scholarship (32 ACT, 1450 SAT, 4.0 GPA UW) if that matters.

One more question. I plan to double major in Biology and Spanish, and I was wondering if it is possible to get a departmental scholarship in both the Biological Sciences and Modern Languages departments. Thanks!
</code></pre>

<p>You can only declare one major now. You can add the 2nd major after school starts.<br>
Are you premed?</p>

<p>Your SAT is higher than your ACT.</p>

<p>How did you do on the PSAT? Are you a likely National Achievement Scholar? Your stats are high enough that it would seem likely that you would have had a high enough PSAT to make National Achievement.</p>

<p>Possibly. Lately I haven’t been entirely sure if that was the path I wanted to take. I talked to my dad about maybe specializing as a nurse, and he didn’t seem too thrilled. (Nigerian parents…)</p>

<p>Yes, I know. By quite a bit actually (2220 composite). The only reason I’m submitting both scores is because I made a 36 on the English and Reading sections of the ACT, and I thought that may show a bit of merit. Maybe, maybe not. </p>

<p>My PSAT scores weren’t all that glamorous. I made a 185. I think they’ve already chosen the National Achievement Semifinalists, so I’m not expecting anything out of that score. I find it so funny how I managed to do so much better on the actual test than the “mock” test. :joy: </p>

<p>I’ve seen you a lot on this forum, and you seem to be pretty knowledgeable. Could you chance me for some departmental scholarships/ University fellows? :slight_smile: If you have time, let me know and I’ll send you a PM</p>

<p>@mom2collegekids‌ sorry, should have tagged you!</p>

<p><<<
Could you chance me for some departmental scholarships/ University fellows? If you have time, let me know and I’ll send you a PM</p>

<br>

<br>

<p>I think you have a good chance for UFE. There are some merit opps with UFE</p>

<p>If interested, you could have a good chance at CBH. There’s more merit for CBH. </p>

<p>I don’t know how many Bio scholarships there are for incoming frosh. I’m wondering if most of their awards are for continuing students. I don’t recall any incoming frosh on CC indicate that he/she got a bio scholarship. </p>

<p>As for your major…you could keep your options open in regards to nursing. What does your dad want you to do? Premed? If so, you could do both, just be sure to take the right bio, chem, ochem and physics classes. I believe that the nursing school accepts the premed sciences</p>

<p>@mom2collegekids‌ Do you have to be pursuing a degree in computer science in order to get that scholarship?</p>

<p><a href=“http://www.as.ua.edu/home/advising/college-wide-and-departmental-scholarships/”>http://www.as.ua.edu/home/advising/college-wide-and-departmental-scholarships/&lt;/a&gt; I was just going by the scholarships listed here. I think if you fill out the default scholarship application you will be considered for these scholarships as well, but I’m not sure…</p>

<p>For CBH? No. That honors program is for all majors.</p>

<p>@mom2collegekids‌ what do people admitted into the program receive? Is it a full ride +stipend similar to the university fellows? I think I’ll look into it. </p>

<p>UFE doesn’t give the big scholly to everyone. They give it to about 8-10 students.</p>

<p>CBH does things differently (and I think BETTER). Instead of giving just to a few, CBH gives an award to all, which is more fair. The awards aren’t HUGE, but they supplement the full tuition award. </p>

<p>@mom2collegekids I don’t believe CBH gives an award to ALL. I think CBH gives additional scholarship to some CBH students.
@tobester Please keep in mind that UFE and CBH are so selective that it really should not be used in your calculations of attending UA especially since all UFE/CBH do not receive additional scholarship. You should look at what you have already been awarded and compare against other institutions that accepts you. You should think of UFE and/or CBH as an added perk if you are fortunate enough to get accepted. A total of up to 80 students will enroll as UFE/CBH out of nearly 7000 freshman. Those are long odds.</p>

<p>Concur, they do NOT give it to all, and definitely should not be assumed. I believe most students feel honored to be accepted into the program. IMHO they used added funds as a recruitment incentive.</p>

<p>Also the CBH stipend carries its own GPA criteria.</p>

<p><<<
Also the CBH stipend carries its own GPA criteria.</p>

<br>

<br>

<p>yes, but only for the CBH scholarship portion. </p>

<p>^^^that’s correct.</p>