DePaul Regular Decision - Class of 2027

DD missed the EA deadline and completed her application on 11/30.

Anyone know if DePaul notifies applicants on a rolling basis or does she need to wait until March 15th?

Last year it seemed some RD students heard back in January and February.

@melissabel sorry I can’t answer your question but I had a few of my own so hope you don’t mind me posted some of my own questions.

DePaul was not on my son’s radar until recently so he might apply RD. Can anyone help with these questions:

-will his merit offer be less because he is applying RD? (sometimes priority scholarships go to EA)
-what is the top merit amount and do they have any extra merit scholarships students can apply for after admission?
–do they give Financial Aid packages with acceptances and does anyone know if they are more generous with FA that most schools or about the same?
-how time-consuming is the honors application (multiple essays?) I only ask because my son has applied for several and he is starting to get burned out. Lol.
-do they offer extra $ for honors or are there certain perks to being a part of honors?

His stats/background:
-plans to study psychology (possible minor in Spanish) with end goal PhD in clinical psychology
-4.0 unweighted GPA with advanced and AP
-1450 SAT (750 Math, 700 Reading)
-National Hispanic Merit Scholar
-USA Gymnastics Academic All American
-Level 10 gymnast (not a priority to continue in college)
-Honor band (jazz band, wind ensemble, pit orchestra)-does want to continue in college but not with a huge commitment
-good amount of volunteer work, some leadership in gymnastics and band
-close to fluent in Spanish (spent 2 summers in Mexico doing upper level gymnastics all in Spanish)

College priorities:
-diverse campus
-in or near a city
-small classes
-small to medium school preferred (but open to larger school with an honors program that makes it seem smaller)

He has applied to 15 schools, including North Park University in Chicago (where he received a generous package with potential for more $) but really loves Chicago and wanted to add another college. We are from Buffalo so he is used to the cold :cold_face:

Sorry for the long post. Thanks for any help.

1 Like

so my daughter applied back in november/december and i thought it was rolling admissions, however i just received a follow up that she would need to wait until the 15th to hear back. i don’t recall this being the case 2 years back when my son applied.

amyizzy, i don’t know if i can answer all your questions but i can try to give a little bit of insight. your son seems like a great candidate for DePaul, good luck to him. i don’t think the merit scholarship has anything to do with RD or ED, etc. - i always thought they were rolling but they may say otherwise.

• the top is presidents, with deans scholarship being second i think.
  • im not sure if there is something to apply for afterwards.
  • the financial aid was on the portal later, from what i can recall
  • we did not apply honors, but it may be worth it if they give more aid, i’m not sure. ive also heard and seen an ‘invitation’ to the honors program if they feel your stats merit an invitation.
  • i know exactly where north park is and lived very close by. they are both very different schools so please pay a visit and take a look at the neighborhood.

i would recommend Northwestern University for your son. its a great school and right outside of chicago, great location and great community feel. depaul is literally in the city. cannot emphasis enough, please visit.

1 Like

Thank you for all that info-very helpful! He had an interview competition at North Park in early February so we are hoping to at least stop by DePaul to look around. He probably should have given Northwestern a try but I think the admission rates were intimidating and we assumed he wouldn’t get enough $. He did mention maybe considering Northwestern or UChicago for grad work if he can secure some funding. Doesn’t want to spend a fortune on undergrad. Thanks again! I agree the visits are so important!

1 Like

Just double checking but you mean March 15th, right? I think I read that was the notification for Regular Decision.

So bummed that my daughter missed the EA deadline.

It seems like this year lots of colleges are doing things differently.

1 Like

My daughter received her acceptance on Thursday so it looks like RD decisions are rolling in. Received the Presidential scholarship as well.

We are visiting in a few weeks so it’s great that she knows she has been accepted when we tour the campuses.

1 Like

My son just received his acceptance as well and didn’t apply until Jan. 11th! He received $24,500 merit. Hoping they come through on financial aid to bring it closer to our budget goals. Good luck!

2 Likes

Did either of your kids apply to the Theatre School?

1 Like

School of Cinematic Arts (CDM)

1 Like

D in for the Honors Program, just received the news today. But not yet commited to the school, still waiting for more decisions…

2 Likes

I aksed the same question on the EA thread but anyone knows when final package will be sent? We received Ithaca but still waiting for DePaul. March is going to be a busy month…

1 Like

We are still waiting as well. On a Reddit thread, some said they received it yesterday so perhaps it’s imminent. Although others said the DePaul
FA office said March 1st to mid-March.

D23 applied RD, so was admitted later than EA applicants so I figure we won’t get it until
March.

She was just informed yesterday of being accepted to the Future Foward program which comes with a scholarship starting sophomore year.

1 Like

Thank you melissabel. The package arrived yesterday evening. DePaul is neck to neck with Ithaca. Not sure which one D will choose.

1 Like

We received our financial aid package today. In addition to the $24,500 merit, we received a $9700 grant so COA is about $28k before loans. Not quite in our budget target but not that far off. He did get into honors so that’s a plus for sure!

1 Like

Did they offer to go through the parents plus loan? It’s a 7.5% APR loan. I dont’ know a lot about it but it seems that you have the possibility to start the paying back after graduation. They put that loan in our package, plus fed loans and the result is $0 for the next 4 years. Theb we will have to pay back the loans.

Yes, they did include that option. We have a junior in college at Loyola New Orleans and we did take out a PP loan for her so very familiar with it. It does not have to be paid back until 6 months after she graduates but we’ve been making small payments because the intetest does accrue (although we’ve been lucky because interest was 0% most of her loan due to Covid-but still made the payments anyway.) We will likely have to take out a PP loan for him no matter where he goes but trying keep overall costs as low as possible so the loan amount can be smaller. So DePaul is still on the table but we do have less expensive options right now, including a SUNY which is down to $14k COA thanks to generous merit. So we will weigh the pros and cons of each school over the next few months.

For anyone interested in calculating a PP loan, this is pretty accurate and tells you what to put in for origination fee and interest rate.

We did get to see DePaul briefly on a trip to Chicago but didn’t have time to schedule a tour so my son has been looking at the info on Niche, including student reviews which are mostly positive, and might schedule a remote session. He absolutely loves Chicago so could be a great option!

2 Likes

Thank you for the info!

D23 was admitted today, but her letter doesn’t say anything about being accepted into her chosen major (nursing). Does anyone know if they will receive a separate acceptance for their major?

My D accepted EA in December didn’t receive a specification of her major either. They only said that she was accepted to the university. So it must be normal.

1 Like