DePauw Class of 2024

@MAmom111

Congrats! DS just accepted as well, 28K merit.

My D was also accepted with $35k merit. Congratulations to everyone!

Could you please share your daughters’ stats?

@notRick - my daughter’s stats are the following:

SAT 1410 super scored (680 verbal, 730 math)- she was not happy with these scores but is not a good test taker (runs out of time)
GPA: 4.0 (unweighted) 4.583 (weighted)
Took 5 APs Junior year (AP US Hist, AP Environmental, AP Chinese, AP Language, AP Calculus BC) and 3 this year (AP Stat, AP Chemistry, AP Human Geography)
Captain of L9 women’s gymnastics team (club, not high school)
School ambassador
President of Chinese Honor society
NHS
National Math Honor Society
National Science Honor Society
Beta Club
HOSA
Coaches Special Olympics gymnastics team for 4 years

Has anyone received any decisions yet ? Also, did you guys receive some other email before getting accepted?

Awaiting decisions for my Regular Decision application

I wonder if they will notify today, since it is a Sunday. The waiting is stressful. Best of luck! What is your intended area of study?

Best of luck to you as well! I’m majoring in Computer Science. What about you?

Parent here, I have a Freshman and Sophomore at DePauw. My son enjoyed his computer science class he took his freshman year. The professors were all very supportive and when working in the lab and it didn’t matter if they were your class professor or not. However, my son’s interest is Asian Studies/Political Science and learning Mandarin. My daughter is still exploring and Spanish seems to be her strength. I am following as DePauw is underrepresented on this forum and it really is a hidden gem. My own kids would not have known about it unless an Alumnus from the school had not suggested to my son.

@commonsensical3 & @givemeuniversity did you guys receive any news ? Also, are you guys international students?

@notRick , I am an international student. No news yet. I wonder when the update will drop.

They said to me that decisions will be out in a few weeks as they had an influx of applicants this year.

any news guys ?

No news on acceptances. We just got notified by phone that the Preview Day for this coming weekend was canceled as was my D20’s interview for the Honors Scholar program. They are going to try and reimburse at least part of the airfare since our tickets were non-changeable/non-refundable. Right now we are out $650 (sigh).

The students are all sad as they are soon departing. Going to help my two move out of the dorms Saturday or Sunday. My daughter doesn’t want to leave until the last moment or at least until all her friends move out. It’s been an eventful year. She was looking forward to meeting new team members and potential recruits. Spring break coming a week early and then they will finish the semester with e-learning. DePauw has been excellent with communication to parents with this Coronavirus outbreak that now has become a pandemic. They have been proactive since January as they had around 24 students (including my son) and a few professors traveling through China with winter term course.

Stay healthy. Hard to make that final college choice. My son has enjoyed every honor seminar class he has taken. He is in his 4 th honor seminar course. Look at the course catalog offerings from the past few semesters. It has been nice to take 4 courses per semester. This semester he also has a 1/2 course with his Chinese professor working on writing & enunciation. Next fall he may become a Mandarin tutor. Just think he only started learning Chinese when he started at Depauw the fall of 2018. Last summer was perfect for the Summer Intensive Language Program for 8 weeks in Tainan, Taiwan. He was accepted to another program this Summer in Taipei, Taiwan
so fingers crossed he will be able to attend.

@commonsensical3 It looks like we are not going to make it back fro another visit or preview day. It is one of my D’s top choices. She has done a lot of research on the academics and is satisfied they are what she is looking for. Her major outstanding concern is the social life and location. Could you elaborate at all on what kids do on weekends? My daughter is not opposed to going to parties but is also wondering what else there is to do. Does the school host many events? Are they well attended? Do kids do things like movies & dinner in Greencastle? Are there many school traditions/events that the kids really look forward to? She is not an athlete and may or may not join Greek life. Thanks!

@notRick @givemeuniversity

Hi guys,

Hope you guys received your decisions by now. If they are not out yet, I hope my case gives you some insights and hope.

I’m an international student. My stats are not that impressive:

• SAT: 1380 (Math 710, Reading 670)
  • SAT Subject Test:
    US History: 580
    Chinese: 750
  • GPA: 9.2 9.0 8.2 7.8 over the scale of 10 for 9, 10, 11, 12 grade.
  • IELTS: 7.5 (no skill under 6.5)

I’m 26, and besides my voluntary activities, I have 8 years of work experience. I got 6 declines (from ED1, ED2 and RD) and 2 acceptances. DePauw is my top choice, and fortunately, I got in.

I submitted RD on Christmas last year and kept following up by sending emails and cards to the school’s admission board on big holidays. I had no updates till Feb 1, 2020. That day I got an email from Mr. Jirari letting me know my decision would come out soon. I woke up around 5 and went to bed around 1 the week after, checking my portal and email once every 20 minutes to see if the decision came out yet. It took another two weeks for the acceptance letter to finally reach my portal box on Valentine’s Day. Overall, it took around 2.5 months of waiting for that amazing moment. I got an invitation for Honor Scholars’ interview a few weeks later.

The waiting is truly tiring, stressful and even heartbreaking. Hopefully your waiting will end soon, and we will be classmates for the next 4 years.

Drop me a note when your decisions come out :wink:

@MAmom111 I’ve heard that Greek Life is pretty big and the social life revolves around parties. That’s not really surprising because tbh if you go to a small school in the middle of nowhere, there’s not that much to do on your free time than to drink.

Can you tell me more about the Honors Scholar program? My son has been invited to apply but wondering if it is a lot more work or big time commitment. Thank you for sharing.

My friend’s child went there and said it was the worst decision in their life to send their kid there. They are not alone. Enrollment numbers are down for a reason.

1 Like