Desktop bookcase

<p>Thanks LadyDianeski! NRDMOM, as I recall, they were 48" long shelves. Keep in mind that you have to have a dorm room layout that will allow you to push the desk, drawers, and end cabinet all together to create a long work surface. We ordered the book cases, and then arranged the furniture in his dorm room to verify measurements before we ran to the store to purchase the shelves. I had a hack saw on hand in case we need to customize the length of the wire shelves, but didn’t need to use it.</p>

<p>Perfect. I’m guessing if we put all the furniture together, that would be one looong (and unstable) shelf. I will consult DH before making wire shelf decision, but the smaller bookcases are now winging their way here. I think DS liked the whole ‘master of my domain’ feel the photo projects…</p>

<p>LOL, I was hoping the “hutch” would make my son the master of that domain, or at least help him to be somewhat organized.</p>

<p>On stability, it’s hard to see in the picture, but the front of each wire shelf has two horizontal wires that, with some forcing, fit one above and one below the corresponding shelf on each bookcase, plus a single horizontal wire in the back that sits on top of the corresponding shelf. Electric zip ties are then used to make sure the ends of the wire shelves and the bookcase stay connected as intended. On the back wall, there are two command strip hooks for each wire shelf that provide vertical support to the central portion of each wire shelf and hold the “hutch” against the wall to resist tipping away from the wall. The adjustable feet help to take out the changes in height from one piece of furniture to the next and also allowed us to “tilt” the “hutch” slightly toward the wall by making the front feet higher than the back feet.</p>

<p>Actually, I just realized the 3rd furniture piece is the ‘locking unit’, right? So it wouldn’t add as much length as I originally thought, in addition to your set-up sounding very stable. I hear command products are ‘verboten’ these days, but it might be worth risking the dreaded dry-wall repair fee for the comfort of knowing the unit won’t be knocking him on the head, however much he may deserve it. (Out of sorts with DS today…)</p>

<p>Great idea</p>

<p><a href=“http://www.containerstore.com/shopContent/auxImages.html?productId=10022642&page=1[/url]”>http://www.containerstore.com/shopContent/auxImages.html?productId=10022642&page=1&lt;/a&gt;&lt;/p&gt;

<p>I found and ordered this hutch for my daugher,excited with great reviews.
Hop thi well you also, located at the container store</p>

<p>Thanks, y’all! We ended up going with an el-cheapo unit from Walmart.com, with assembly required. It got great reviews, though. Will let y’all know how it works out!</p>