Despite a near perfect scholastic record, I am unable to do well on standardized examinations

[on behalf of my chlld’s-“frank words…”]

“In ‘Deep’…”
I am ‘in deep,’ trouble. Despite a near perfect scholastic record, in school, it seems that I am unable to do well in standardized examination-formatted auspices.

I have even failed, on my most recent five repeated test runs to obtain near an average /pass for my practice ACT test runs. I require a tremendous amount of aid in all facets of the process, that is not as complicated as the gamut of services, online that seem to “barely move the needle…’

1 Like

The good news is that many colleges have gone to test optional and are going to stay that way indefinitely.

Have you tried a practice SAT? Some students do better on one format vs the other.

4 Likes

As @momofboiler1 said, if the testing is causing your D undue stress maybe concentrate on test optional schools.

Did you try any of the suggestions from your last thread? That may help us provide better advice. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

What (estimated) score are we talking about? And what do you expect and why?

3 Likes

What prep have you done other than continuing to take practice tests and scoring aprox. at the same level?

@indeeptrouble so…what has your daughter done since January to help with the standardized test issue?

Also, agree with others, what IS her actual practice test score.

Firstly, there are so many test optional schools now that it isn’t “deep trouble” if you can’t get the score you like. There are many people who never get a super high score, despite a lot of effort, time and money. There’s no shame in not getting a really high score.

Secondly, are you the student or the parent? Your previous post was as a parent. Do not confuse the people on this site by assuming two identities.

Thirdly, what does this mean? It’s very confusing. Is English a second language for you?

With editing, I believe this states that the OP is seeking practical and comprehensible support in improving standardized testing results.

I think that it might be helpful for us to know what sort of preparation you have done and what your scores have been up to now.

I agree with others that it might be worth trying the SAT rather than the ACT.

One daughter made use of a tutor who works at a very small company near where we live. I think that the entire company might be two tutors plus a receptionist. The process was low stress, which I think is very important for SAT or ACT preparation. Students in the US are already under way too much stress and so keeping the stress as low as possible can be helpful. There might be similar tutors near where you live. It took only a very small number of sessions with the tutor to make her feel more comfortable with the overall process.

Also, there are of course many test optional universities. To me sticking with test optional universities seems preferable to stressing out excessively over the inability to get a high ACT or SAT score.

One daughter had a very good SAT score, but ended up at a university that does not even consider SAT scores for admissions. It was a very good university that was a very good fit for her (and was affordable).

I do not think that a student needs to take the ACT or SAT to get into a very good university.

A tutor from an in person test prep center should be able to identify areas where you may be able to gain some points.

Your school counselor will be able to help you gauge a predicted score based on some previous standardized test score. If you have always been in the 80% percentile on nationally normed many many stay within that area by a few points up or down. Ask to see some of your previous data.

Your grades and hard work will help with college admissions during a time when many are test optional.

What colleges are you looking at that need the test score? They may also be colleges that are not a great match.