Dexter Southfield

Hello,

My child was accepted into Dexter for high school. Does anyone have personal experience about the school and whether they like it or not and why?

Thank you!

1 Like

Hi, my 12yo son was accepted for Middle school at Dexter. We know several families who currently attend and we have talked to recent graduates.
All the families we’ve talked to have said positive thoughts about Dexter.
We believe Dexter is an up and coming school. The current head of school seems to be committed to the school.
Dexter has a reputation of being a very sporty school. my boys have been going to summer camp there for several years and my older son plays squash there.

It’s not my son’s first choice since he knows the school so we’ll so it’s not “new and exciting” compared to others.

1 Like

Happy to be helpful, my son was at Dexter from 7th-9th, so two years of middle and one for high school. He applied out last year to go to boarding school- a choice which was driven by a combination of factors very personal to him and our family, not the school. I’ve continued to recommend and think highly of DXSF.

Dexter is a fantastic day school with many great opportunities for students with diverse interests. The school community at the high school level is welcoming, academics are strong with variety of class/curriculum options. The move from single gender classroom to mixed at high school level was very welcomed by my kid.

Re: other response of a prospective parent- The reputation as it being a “sporty” school is based on outdated thinking/reputation & not reflection of the overall student experience in my opinion, as a past parent. There are of course outstanding athletes and the school like many others actively recruit athletes for high school, but that is not the majority.

Please feel free to message me if you want to ask more questions/specifics.

1 Like