Did I mess up or do I still have time?

General info:

International Student
I want to study computer science in the US
I attend an international hs in czech republic
GPA: 4.0 (unweighted)
SAT: 1500 (predicted from practice tests)

AP physics: 5
AP modern world history: 4
AP calculus BC: 5 (predicted based on practice test)
AP computer science A: 5 (predicted based on practice tests and experience)
AP seminar: unsure (>3)
AP Psychology: 5 (predicted based on difficulty)

I have started my own coding club at my school (first student founded club at my school)
I have participated in football both in and outside of school where we travel to other countries such as bulgaria and italy.
I also volunteer as an assistant teacher at my friends chinese club. Though I don’t speak chinese much, I help him organize lessons and I also suggest topics to cover.
I have frequently peer tutored and helped teach the Algebra class.
I have also participated in student council every year of high school so far, 2 of which I have spent as treasurer.
Several coding projects such as: a static vocabulary memorization website, a dynamic website hosted on my raspberry pi for science fair at my school, a solar system gravitation simulator in c++ using opengl, a professional website for my dad’s firm, and a rough prototype for an mobile app that helps users decide if the item is recyclable (scans bar code and provides info about the item)

now for awards…
1st place school, top 10% in CEMC

It is clear that I am lacking a lot in awards probably the most deciding factor, after hitting a certain threshold in academics (extracurricular’s are way more important for local students since the competition is lower)

I am currently starting JUNIOR year of highschool and so: Is there anyway I can catch up in terms of awards? I have very willing teachers so I am sure they would agree to register for math competitions such as AMC, I just wanted to know if it is worth it and if it is even possible to earn a good score with so little time.

(Moderator edit after clarifying OP’s year in school).

1 Like

Are you starting freshman year of high school, or freshman year of university?

If you are still a freshman in high school, then you have a lot of time before you think about universities.

Your might however want to read the “applying sideways” blog on the MIT admissions web site. As I understand it, it recommends that you do what is right for you, and do it very well. To me it sounds as if this is exactly the approach that you are already taking.

You don’t need awards. You should be involved.

And there are many schools you can study in the US with no awards or ECs.

Be the best you over the next four years and you will find schools to call home.

If you can afford the costs to attend. Right now…forget about college and just do your personal best in high school.

Then.

1. Get a budget from your family for how much they can pay every year for you to attend college. This is VERY important but even more important for international students. Many colleges in this country are very costly…you will need to complete a certificate of finances showing that you have at the ready all the money for four full years of college costs. This can include college based aid that is guaranteed for all four years, and approved loans…it cannot include things that haven’t been approved. Without the money at the ready, you will not be able to apply for a student visa to study here.

2. When the time comes…you need to look at affordable options either in your country or other places…not the U.S. @MYOS1634 might be helpful here. When the time comes.

3. Remember that the very vast majority of colleges in the U.S. are need aware for admissions…meaning your level of financial need can be considered when your application for admission is reviewed. So…when the time comes…you will need to check this also.

4. There are colleges in this country that don’t provide a dime of need based aid to international students. There are colleges that provide limited aid to international students. There are colleges that fully fund all accepted international students (hint…these are highly competitive in most cases).

5. Right now…you don’t have any information to be used to help find colleges for you. You don’t even have end of year freshman grades. You haven’t taken any SAT or ACT or TOEFL (if required). Once you have your end of year sophomore grades, and a budget for college costs from your family, folks here will better be able to guide you.

6. Look at the colleges in your country.

7. Since you attend an international school, see what your school counselors have to say about planning for post high school.

Closing temporarily

OP has clarified that they are a HS Junior.

2 Likes

Your profile is excellent. Keep going.
It’s not necessarily a matter of awards - but rather, what can you bring the college that others can’t ?
Which region of the world do you live in?

@MYOS1634 does this help?

I attend an international hs in czech republic

Yes, thanks -had missed it.

1 Like