Didn’t receive a notification email?

My son told me he didn’t receive a notification email that went to many students last night from a school he applied to. This was a general email announcing the day and time for the decision announcement. I double checked his inbox, spam and trash with him and he definitely did not receive it. He has received all kinds of emails from this school in the past and his portal says everything is complete. I told him not to worry, it must be an IT glitch, but what kind of glitch could cause this? He is convinced it means he was rejected. Do schools ever intentionally send these notifications to some students and not others? Just to clarify, we are not talking about a likely letter, just a generic email. Thanks for any wisdom you can share!!!

It doesn’t. My guess is they’re sending in batches.

Sometimes emails that are going to very large numbers of people go out in waves. I had times where others have gotten general notice emails hours before I got it. He will probably get it today.

I hope so- if only to calm his nerves!

Thanks

Oddly enough, my son never received that notification email. Isn’t that strange? I doubt it means anything but it is weird.

1 Like

My student has the same issue for a variety of schools he applied to. Some emails get through and some he never gets (we see on here what emails others mention and then never arrive). Guessing it’s the Microsoft Outlook platform his high school email account uses but really don’t know. There’s no “spam” folder to check…just “other”. Wondering if my youngest should use a personal gmail account when he applies in a few years but not sure how that works with Naviance and the guidance office using his school email.

Wanted to add a follow up! Spoke with our IT department and got a link to unlock “secret” spam folder for last 30 days. He found 6 emails from various colleges he’d applied to. Nothing urgent but found our explanation!

Ha! I love that. My son probably has something similar. Oh well- he will deal with it if he’s that worried!

1 Like