difference between engineering and engineering with technology

<p>okay i got admitted to Purdue university and i was wondering what is the difference between engineering and engineering with technology...i called those guys up and a student from engineering told me that engineering with tech is more hands on and a lot more jobs are looking for that now, and more of engineering majors are switching to that program. you still end of getting a BS in engineering...but IS there a SIGNIFICANT difference? i've seen those ads for ITT tech and that crap and they said theirs is also engineering tech...honestly i dont want to go to purdue and pay 40K for a degree which ITT people get (no offense)....so my main question is what is the difference, can i still get a job like at places at cisco, microsoft etc, what is the pay difference (more or less), and can i do my masters/phd in some engineering field at some other university like Carnegie Mellon?</p>

<p>anyone?......</p>

<p>I am not an engineer, but from my engineering friends I get the general impression that the +tech majors are for those who just want to get a job, and not be open to graduate school after they finish four years.</p>

<p>Usually when an engineering friend goes to +tech, we kid them for "giving up". Apparently it's a lot easier, and that would make it distinctly not Purdue Engineering(tm).</p>

<p>nickel.deuce, are students in the College of Technology considered "lesser citizens" in some way?</p>

<p>my bro is a mech eng from IIT, i asked him bout it and he told me that +tech courses are more theoritical and repetitvie. If u like creativity and creation, try avoidin them</p>

<p>Mech Eng from IIT. Coooooool!!!!!!</p>

<p>Did u guyz know that IIT has increased its rank from 3rd to 2nd in the Technology rankings in the Times Rankings of 2006. It will not topple MIT in the coming years but being higher than universities like Stanford, Caltech, Princeton, Cambridge, Imperial and Oxford is no joke. </p>

<p>Damn, the your bro can easily get into one of the top ones after he finishes his Bachelor's degree. </p>

<p>No wonder u have done research on string theory and the like. Brains must run in your family.</p>

<p>thanks sudu!</p>

<p>just to add to the fact that my bro was in IIT Madras Class of 2006. He is currently doin MBA from IIM Lucknow. He is selected for citibank-hong kong internship. He'll get 5 lakh for 3 month intern! isn't that cool?</p>

<p>really really cooool</p>

<p>IIT and IIM, his life is set.</p>

<p>BTW : Why dont u try for IIT. You might make it through and it is second only to MIT</p>

<p>The difference: Engineering is harder, you will spend more time in lecture and studying out of a book than with Engineering Technology, where a lot of your curriculum will be lab/hands-on based. A lot of people enroll in straight engineering disciplines because it's 'expected' of them, few people actually know what they're getting into, a lot transfer out of Engineering the first year.</p>

<p>Most importantly, take a look at the job placement rates among the various majors in the Technology department and you'll see it's definitely not just another degree mill trying to suck you dry; my major has a 98% job placement rate withing three months after graduation with an average starting salary of $45k. I get numerous job offers sent out by the department on a weekly basis, these offers are often open to both Engineering Technology and Engineering students.</p>

<p>Based on my personal experience, I think no matter what discipline you choose you should make an effort to maintain a 3.0+ GPA. You would be surprised at how many job offers I get state that only 3.0+ will be considered. Good Luck.</p>

<p>Mikefitz: what are u majoring in?</p>

<p><a href="http://www.tech.purdue.edu/it/%5B/url%5D"&gt;http://www.tech.purdue.edu/it/&lt;/a&gt;&lt;/p>

<p>Currently a Junior. We have guys from the department heading into Technical Sales positions with starting salaries of over $65,000 plus commission & full benefits, this is the direction I am probably heading when I graduate next year. Plus, a lot of IT grads move into management positions after a few years; in my particular case I have a company lined up who is willing to provide financial aid for an MBA should I decide to move to middle management after 2-3 years. Whoever said tech students aren't generally well-suited for grad school couldn't be anymore wrong, something to the tune of 27% of MBA students at Krannert earned tech undergrad degrees.</p>

<p>Of course, I am fortunate enough to enjoy what I do. Good luck.</p>