Differences between UA and UA-B?

<p>the statement about how proof of part time students was that they even had sunday classes intriqued me, as my son certainly hasnt had an option of sunday classes so i searched the class schedule:</p>

<p>“The student body tends to be “non-traditional,” meaning the typical student tends to be a little older, and has a part-time job. Many have full-time jobs. The job situation is such that some classes are held on Sundays!”</p>

<p>it does seem they offer TWO graduate courses on a sunday. one for a legal course and one for communications… (U=sunday) doesnt seem to prove the point to me! </p>

<p><a href=“https://ssb.it.uab.edu/pls/sctprod/bwckschd.p_get_crse_unsec[/url]”>https://ssb.it.uab.edu/pls/sctprod/bwckschd.p_get_crse_unsec&lt;/a&gt; oops link wont work
CM-Communication Mgmt
CRN Subj Crse Sec Cred Title Days Time Cap Act Rem Instructor Date (MM/DD) Location Comments
CM-609 Communibiology
PREREQUISITES: Graduate level CM 601 Minimum Grade of B
52234 CM 609 SV 3.00 Communibiology U 01:00 pm-03:30 pm 15 6 9 </p>

<p>CRN Subj Crse Sec Cred Title Days Time Cap Act Rem Instructor Date (MM/DD) Location Comments
52974 LS 471 XG 3.00 Legal Elemts of Fraud Invest U 05:30 pm-08:00 pm 30 13 17 08/15-12/14 BEC 119 Prerequisite: C or better in LS 246
53371 LS 571 XG 3.00 Legal Elemts of Fraud Invest U 05:30 pm-08:00 pm 10 5 5</p>

<p>should add there were 3 other grad level course that had tba for day…</p>

<p>Glad to see this thread because I’ve long been curious about UAB and have read a bit about the school.</p>

<p>From my readings, I get the impression that Mom2ck’s perspective is accurate. But I see also that UAB has done a lot to enhance it’s appeal to traditional undergraduates. Its health sciences departments are reportedly strong, but if you look a bit deeper at other departments, like undergraduate mechanical engineering, you’ll find some assets. UAB or UA? It depends on what your looking for.</p>

<p>if you have any questions lakewashington, feel free to pm… i still think mom2ck’s impression is outdated, and does not reflect the changes in the campus and undergrads now.</p>

<p>another difference between the 2 schools is greek life…uab is approx 6% greek. there are no sorority or fraternity houses on campus. Southlander may be able to give more insight on the selection process for sororities… iirc she mentioned being involved with uab… it is my understanding its not as intense as ua to pledge</p>

<p>This difference came up in another thread, so it probably should be mentioned here…</p>

<p>UAB’s full tuition scholarship only covers up to 12 credits per semester. Since students generally take 15-16 credits per semester to graduate on time or to do a minor, scholarship students would have to pay about $630 for EACH additional credits. So, that could be about $4500 more per year (paying for those 6-8 credits) for an OOS student.</p>

<p>Alabama’s tuition scholarship covers up to 20 credits per semester. And, if you’re an Engineering major then you also get 2500 per year stacked on top.</p>

<p>blazer elite is a monetary amount of 15k…not full tuition, and that would cover as m2ck said 12 credit hours. to take 18 credits would cost 3780.
so she is correct that there will be some out of pocket for additional credits. UAB is generous (as is UA) with advanced placement credits which will cut down on those additional hours.</p>

<p>UAB’s housing is cheaper than ua’s supersuites (i do realize there are some cheaper dorms at ua too) blazer is suite style, camp is full apartment style, full living room, bathroom, balcony, full kitchen…shared with 1 other person…5400 per year. also with the full kitchen it is very easy to get that meal plan down and save about 2k there.</p>

<p>Blazer Elite Scholarship
•$15,000
•Based on academic achievement (28-36 ACT and at least 3.0 GPA)
Blazer Gold Scholarship
•$10,000
•Based on academic achievement (26-27 ACT and at least 3.0 GPA)
Blazer Pride Scholarship
•$5,000
•Based on academic achievement (24-25 ACT and at least 3.0 GPA)</p>

<p>*** Note: (Nmf, national acheivement and national hispancic scholarships are for tuition of 15 credits, plus 4 years of housing)****</p>

<p>National Merit Finalists, National Achievement Finalists, and National Hispanic Scholars with the following scholarship, which is renewable for four years. The details:
•Full tuition, required fees, and housing (up to 15 credit hours per semester) for a total of eight semesters (fall and spring)
•A one-time $2,500 stipend to be used for experiential learning (Study Away, internships, co-ops, etc.)</p>

<p>Fall 2012 First-Year Freshmen Estimated</p>

<p>First-Year Freshman Out-of-State
Tuition and Fees* $15,462
Books and Supplies** $1,000
Meal Plan $450 - $3,894
Total $16,912 - $20,356
Residence Hall (Blazer/Camp Hall)*** $5,400
Grand Total $22,312 - $25,756</p>

<p>should also add that 15k is available with a 28 act…not sure of ua’s numbers…</p>

<p>Since we are talking about other University of Alabama campuses, does anyone have any info about UA Huntsville?</p>

<p>^^^</p>

<p>What would you like to know. I live within a few minutes of UAH.</p>

<p>Well, DS is at UA with a great scholarship, but DD’s GPA might not make it to 3.5 to get any scholarship, but Huntsville has a 3.0 minimum and some great scholarships. Plus the location in Cummings Park(?) seems like it would provide potential benefits for an engineering major. UA would be number 1, but I can’t manage full OOS tuition in addition to what we are already paying for DS. She just wants to get out of our state.</p>

<p>about 6000 students… urban campus. </p>

<p>6% greek, about 20% live on campus. </p>

<p>[University</a> of Alabama–Huntsville | Best College | US News](<a href=“http://colleges.usnews.rankingsandreviews.com/best-colleges/uah-1055]University”>http://colleges.usnews.rankingsandreviews.com/best-colleges/uah-1055)</p>

<p>[University</a> of Alabama in Huntsville - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia](<a href=“http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/University_of_Alabama_in_Huntsville]University”>University of Alabama in Huntsville - Wikipedia)</p>

<p>Yes, UAH is located within Cumming Research Park.</p>

<p>What do you want to know?</p>

<p>Your D is a junior, right? Is she taking any APs that will give her GPA a boost with weight?</p>

<p>S2 has a number of friends there…they are all in engineering…school is known for its engineering programs.</p>

<p>She is only taking AP Chem this year. She is a junior. At the end of last year she had a 2.98. I don’t think it is even possible for her to get it up high enough. She is working hard now, doing very well, but last year she really blew it. No other honors classes. She just didn’t want to, no matter what I said. Next year she probably will, but by then it will be too late.</p>

<p>Have you visited UAHuntsville? It has a pretty good location. The campus has a good amount of land and green space for its enrollment size…about 350 acres for 7,700 students (6100 undergrads). It is well-maintained.</p>

<p>As mentioned earlier, it’s located in Cummings Research Park (CRP)…on the north side. These companies provide many internship and co-op opportunities. </p>

<p>Redstone Arsenal Army base is also nearby. It also provides internship opps. My Bama son did several internships on Redstone Arsenal. </p>

<p>while there are many “techie” companies in CRP, there are also shopping centers, restaurants, and residential homes in the area. Bridgesteet Towne Center is a lovely outdoor lifestyle shopping mall, and it’s located very close to UAH.</p>

<p>HSV In’tl airport is also close to UAH (just west on I-565)</p>

<p>What else do you want to know?</p>

<p>proudmama3… we also live in alabama, our local high school doesnt offer any ap courses, many rural schools here dont (one of the reasons S2 went to a different school)…if you are looking for scholarships, apply early (and thankfully the apps for ua, uab and uah are quick and easy) , if she has the gpa and test score, they are automatic…they really dont care about honors or ap’s, just what is on the transcript. you can read earlier posts on what uab offers for a 3.0 and 28. (or the other levels) good luck with your search!</p>

<p>Proudmama3: Would it be possible for your daughter to take an online AP class? Would her school include the course in the GPA? Just a thought.</p>

<p>Why aren’t there separate pages for UAB and UAH? Anyone know? What can we do to get them set up? I think the UAB and UAH discussions are unrelated to UA.</p>

<p>^^^</p>

<p>Likely because CC can’t dedicate forums for every school out there. I don’t know what the “cut off” is, but maybe schools ranked below a certain number don’t get forums???</p>

<p>I agree that the UAB and UAH discussions are really out of place here. </p>

<p>Maybe the CC people need to set up a General forum for the schools that don’t have their own forums.</p>

<p>has nothing to do with rank… per CC there is a cutoff based on number of new threads re that school. you can always ignore this one thread in the middle of thousands.</p>

<p>But how can you get threads if you don’t have a page? I think in the long run, it will serve UAB and UAH better to have their own pages. With all of the talk among some about how they don’t feel the system treats them fairly, I would think people would want their own pages.</p>