Different ethnicity on PSAT than on application?

<p>Hi everyone,
For the PSATs both Sophomore and Junior year I marked "white" as my ethnicity, because I always thought that you choose your father's heritage when choosing ethnicity. However, my mother's father was full Puerto Rican, making me 25% Puerto Rican, which I now know is enough to qualify as hispanic. I am well aware of the benefits of applying as a minority, and I now am planning to choose Puerto Rican as my ethnicity on my application. Will having my ethnicity different on the PSAT affect admissions in any way? Will it look like I'm lying? Did I miss out on any opportunities by checking "white" on the PSAT? </p>

<p>Thanks in advance =)</p>

<p>I don’t think it’s too late to change it. Depending on your score, you could qualify for NHRP.</p>

<p>Check at your HS to see how it’s designated on your school records. If it’s just ‘white’ have your parents contact them and explain that they misunderstood the designations and that you are Hispanic and white (note, your ethnicity is Hispanic via PR and your race is white). </p>

<p>Do this soon as designations for NHRP will be coming out this month and if your score is high enough to qualify and you have a 3.5 gpa, your GC can contact NHRP and fill out the information for you to get the award. It’s not too late just because you didn’t mark Hispanic on your PSAT.</p>

<p>Thank you so much! That was a huge help. So the NHRP qualification occurs this month? I have a 3.8 GPA so I do qualify!</p>

<p>NHRP is based on jr year PSAT scores, they haven’t released the cutoffs for this year yet, see last year’s regional cutoffs in post #427 here:</p>

<p><a href=“http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/hispanic-students/640730-national-hispanic-recognition-program-29.html[/url]”>http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/hispanic-students/640730-national-hispanic-recognition-program-29.html&lt;/a&gt;&lt;/p&gt;

<p>See the first post of the thread for a link to NHRP and read all of the qualifications there.</p>