Difficulty deciding what classes to take sophomore year

What is your intended major in college?

You don’t need Phys C at all unless you plan on majoring in physics, chem or engineering.(Plus taking Phys C will give you issues doing med school pre-reqs. You may need to take advanced UL physics classes to supplement you AP credits.) Pre med only requires algebra based physics. Bio majors usually take algebra based physics.

For 10th grade, pick one–either AP physics 1 or AP chem, but not both. I personally would recommend saving AP chem for 12th grade because freshman chem is a pre-med weeder class and it helps to have the material fresh in your mind. AP bio really doesn’t provide the same kind of prep/review for freshman bio that AP chem does for gen chem.

NOTE: med schools are not necessarily looking for the best students academically. They are looking for students who will make good doctors. Doctors need to have tons of soft skills–leadership, teamwork skills, oral and written communication skills, cultural competency.

For medicine, science is important. You have to like it and be good at it, but it’s not the determining factor when it comes to deciding who will be accepted and who won’t

2 Likes

You indicated that your school opens course registration two times per year. Does this mean January and May/June? It seems to me that thinking about your schedule for next year when you just began HS is way too stressful. Right now you should be adjusting to HS, meeting new friends, activities etc…not frantically thinking about next years schedule.

When my kids were in HS they met with their guidance counselor to discuss classes for the following year, and they met with their teachers in the spring to get their recommendation. Is that system (or something similar) in place at your HS? It doesn’t seem like it is, based on what you are saying.

My kids HS did not allow APs until 11th grade. My daughter took honors biology in 9th grade and never took AP biology. It did not hurt her at all - she was a biology major at a strong university and did very well. I would not self study for AP bio.

While I understand the race to choose classes (due to the climate within your HS) I would try hard not to get wrapped up in it. There is nothing wrong with not taking AP bio. Take what fits into your schedule, and take the time to enjoy the four years and be involved in your school community.

This is not a race. If 7-8 years from now you still want to apply to medical school, not having AP biology will not matter.

2 Likes

I would like to either major in chemical engineering or neuroscience with my last choice being computer science.

Majoring in biology to me is kind of disgusting and I don’t like it at all. I’m fine with studying the class but if I have to spend 4 years doing it… no thanks.

Thank you, my school counselor is, to say the least, not the most helpful. I think I’ll take a bit to think things over but still keep looking for more advice. Appreciate your help!

1 Like

D2 was a double major in mathematics and neuroscience. Neuroscience doesn’t require calc-based physics (Phys C). However, neuroscience is biology sub-discipline so you be taking 4 years of mostly biology classes.

ChemE will require calc-based physics, plus lots of additional math, UL chem, possibly including physical chemistry (which is a killer class…it’s quantum mechanics for chemists.)

Engineering majors are notorious for grade-deflation and med schools do not give any special consideration for applicants with lower GPAs who take “hard” majors–like engineering, physics or mathematics. Pre-meds are generally discouraged from majoring in an engineering disciplines due to the GPA hit they give.

Majoring in biology to me is kind of disgusting and I don’t like it at all. I’m fine with studying the class but if I have to spend 4 years doing it… no thanks.

Maybe you need to rethink becoming a physician then. Med school is 100% biology (with some biochem thrown in, but zero math, chem or physics) for 4 years. Plus you will be reading bio research papers and taking CME (Continuing Medical Education) classes to maintain your medical license for the rest of your career. As a doctor, you will literally never be done studying biology.

2 Likes

I was just going to question medical school given your dislike for biology…

Just a request that we don’t use such terms flippantly…

2 Likes

To answer this and @WayOutWestMom’s comments, I don’t dislike biology and I am aware that it’s one of the most important subjects you can take if you want to become a physician however I do not want to major in it. This goes back to my original question about if I should take AP Bio or not.

It’s ok not to major in biology, but if you find it “disgusting” then I question whether you would enjoy medicine.

Oopsie, I will keep that in mind next time. Mb

Like I said I am on the verge of deciding between medicine and engineering. No clue what I should do. Do you think I should start thinking about it now?

No, I do not. You are only a freshman in HS.

3 Likes

To get a better idea of your career interest, consider doing some job shadowing over the next couple of years or conduct a several detailed informational interviews with people working in different professions to see what each of the jobs entails.

I’ll bet neither medicine or engineering are exactly what you expect them to be.

Career goals often evolve and change as you get older and gain greater life experience.

4 Likes

Neuroscience will require a lot of biology. So will pre-med courses and medical school.

Chemical engineering may require some general biology, but not a lot. It will require organic chemistry, which is biology-adjacent.

I think your goal right now needs to be to satisfy the requirements for high school graduation. Make sure you also meet the recommendations (which really means requirements) for colleges you think might interest you.

Right now you are in 9th grade, right? I think trying to plan the rest of your life now is very premature…and it also doesn’t give you the ability to really think outside of your current box and explore other areas that might actually be of more interest as time goes on.

I’ll give you one free example…sample of one. One of my kids started off as an engineering major. Decided that they loved the coursework, but realized they weren’t thrilled about working as an engineer. Completed the engineering major and picked up a second major in biology. This kid will never work as an engineer…but the kid did find a career the kid thinks they love. But even THAT continues to evolve.

So…right now…keep an open mind. And make sure you are fulfilling the requirements I put above.

1 Like

I am trying my best to fulfill them, I know princeton requires 4 years of foreign language if you are able to take it so I changed my schedule to accommodate spanish 4. I’m looking into the STEM requirements for other colleges as well. Thanks for the reply I appreciate it a lot!

You just started 9th grade. The month of September isn’t even over yet. While it is important to plan/research requirements for HS graduation and college, I feel it is too early to research specific colleges.

Now is the time to go out with friends, join clubs, be involved, get to know your teachers, establish yourself as a HS student, get good grades, etc. All of these things will be very important when it finally IS time to apply to college. These experiences will help you write your essays, get letters of recommendation, etc.

Your interests will develop and evolve during HS, college, and beyond.

I would put things into 6 month goals. Right now the goal is getting acclimated to your first month of HS (see above), and figuring out HS requirements (it seems you do not meet with guidance and are pretty much on your own).

Your original question is about AP biology. It is not necessary to take AP biology to be a successful applicant to college. Take it if you want to take it and if you can schedule it. Don’t worry if you are not able to. My daughter did not take AP bio and was accepted to excellent schools- and was a biology major.

4 Likes

Im the poster who introduced the “AP robot” concept upthread. I’ll try to detail this as much as possible so you can understand how it works.

It is not my invention but one used at highly selective colleges when they see a transcript that doesn’t make sense for the student’s purported goals, with lots of haphazardly placed AP classes.
Ap Chem (a senior class, capstone of sorts like Physics C) as a sophomore with self studied AP Bio would definitely raise eyebrows.

I understand that in TX or CA there’s pressure to take a lot of APs so if that’s where you live and your sole goal is to stay instate there or only apply to public flagships OOS, this will not matter as much for admissions although it will in terms of starting college on the right foot academically.
But even students from these states, when applying to highly selective private universities, need to demonstrate both breadth (=student isn’t eschewing difficulty or subject areas) and coherence (=classes taken reflect purported goals as well as academic progression).
As a result, a transcript that makes it past 1st cut will have 4 years in all 5 core subjects (exception senior year where outside of math&English that can be doubled up but not switched out, one subject could be switched for another one from the other categories), a jr/sr schedule that reflects progressively more rigorous course choices, and choices, especially sr year, that reflect their academic interests.
That’s why selective colleges want to see bio, chem, and physics at any level + if offered one AP science; in your case, you’ve already taken Biology in MS (and disliked it?) & you’re taking advanced chemistry, so most course progressions would have you take AP bio as a soph, then Physics then AP chem OR AP Physics next, probably AP physics1 (which is your best choice if premed and a solid pre-req for C if aiming for any major in a college of engineering). You could add AP Environmental Science, which is easier than AP Bio, if you want to add an extra science that isn’t AP Bio, sort of as a replacement for Medical terminology, *but that is neither expected nor necessary *.

As long as you’ve taken all 3 sciences, you don’t have to take AP Bio and you certainly don’t need to self study for it.

I would recommend “saving” AP Chem for sr year regardless of whether you intend to major in ChemE or Chemistry+premed or Neuroscience. This way you start your major with the information as fresh and as thoroughly-mastered as you possibly could.

As for AP physics, the choice depends on your goals: taking Physics 1+2 may be a better choice than C, or vice versa or Physics 1 then C…

A dilemma occurs if you take AP Bio in 10th, AP Physics1 in 11th, and in 12th are interested in both AP Chem and AP Physics C -taking these 2 courses together alongside (I assume) MVC+Calc-based Stats or Discrete Math, would be extremely difficult and time-consuming; it definitely would mean either AP Spanish or AP social science (or neither).
That problem is solved to a certain extent if you take AP Physics 1 as a sophomore, do not take AP Bio, then spread AP Chem&PhysicsC jr/sr year. Caveats would be AP chemistry would really be best in 12th for a senior who wants to major in ChemE or be premed, but Physics C is better taken with some calculus under your belt.

Does all of this make sense? Do you see the progression and coherence?

2 Likes

Yes I understand. This is a really clear way of saying it. Theoretically, would it affect my chances if I took AP Chem and AP Physics 1 sophomore year, did well in them, and then just took Phys C later without taking AP Bio?

I ask because the way it works at my school is that Adv Chemistry is a sophomore level course and it’s built in a way where it’s essentially the prerequisite for taking AP Chem and they prepare you to take AP Chem within the course itself.

Currently what I have in for my schedule (haven’t gotten around to changing it at all) is AP Chemistry, AP Bio, and AP Physics 1 in sophomore year which I know I need to change, before someone screams at me :slight_smile:

Anyway, thanks for the reply I really appreciate it.

You just started high school. You don’t have a schedule.

Slow down. Get strong grades. Get involved. 10th grade is a long ways out.

3 Likes