Difficulty deciding what classes to take sophomore year

I think first , focus on your grades this year. Second, talk to the head of the science department at your school or a college counselor if your school has them. All high schools are different. You certainly do not have to take classes just because one other person is, but it does make sense to know what the top 5- 10% or so do, IF you want to be competitive for the schools where the top 5-10% from the HS go.
For example, at our HS, more than 5% take AP chem in 10th, alongside honors bio or more rarely AP phys1. Others do APhys1 and Honors Bio concurrently in 10th(to get into APphysC early and have room for APchem or bio later). So this fairly big group takes 2 sciences in 10th, as well as the other cores. The very top kids who are invited to AP chem but do not want to do it are encouraged by college counseling and the department to at least take it later on. Even if they are not Stem-bound. 20% or more of the class takes 6 core courses in 10 and 11th(APstats alongside precalc is a common option in 10th for those who dont want 2 sciences but want to remain on the path to be most competitive).
Taking 6 core has become almost “required “ just to get into the state flagship, because such a large chunk do it.

My point is every school is different and you will be evaluated in the context of your school. Another top HS here has a global-focused curriculum where the top kids take double foreign language every year and only can do a double math or double science as a senior. They all place well, including into engineering and stem elite schools, if they follow that school’s hardest path even though it is less Stem-heavy than our school.

Just to clarify, students at your school do not meet with guidance and teachers to get class recommendations for the following year? You need to register for classes by January and do your own research? Nothing wrong with doing your own research, but I am wondering if you also meet. How did you choose your 9th grade classes?

Sorry- just trying to understand the process. Every HS is different. Every middle school
is different.

1 Like

Sounds like at your HS the high performing STEM students take AP Chem (alongside calc) as juniors and, presumably, Ap physics C as seniors. Is that correct?
Also inferring from your comment about Biology that you took it in MS.
If you’ve taken a HS Bio class in MS (ie., it appears in one form or another on the transcript for HS graduation/sent to colleges) you do NOT have to take AP Bio at all. You can cross it out from your proposed schedule without worry.

What classes are you thinking of?

Another question: are you attending a “selective” (test-based entrance) HS like TJ, Stuyvesant, Montgomery magnet?

1 Like

Hey! I am attending a public school haha, and I tested out of high school biology, I did not take it. So I’ve come to the conclusion of taking AP Chem and AP Physics (1 or 2 depending on how much I improve in the subject by the next registration date) in sophomore year. I will also take AP Bio junior year to have that under my belt. I talked with someone who got into Yale and this is what they did (they were similar to me in being ahead in math and science).

I think my plan is okay because it solves the problem of me not having taken a bio course and it also lets me pursue chemistry like I want to and learn more about the topic.

This change leaves me with one empty spot in my 10th grade schedule which I think I might either fill with AP Psychology or AP Seminar depending on the teachers, which class is more useful, and the grading policies of the classes.

Seminar and Research don’t get you a lot in regards to placing out in college but seem to be universally enjoyed and appreciated by students and probably very helpful for writing papers etc.

It really impacted my daughter’s hs experience in a very positive way. I’ve read similar on here.

Thanks for this! I’ve heard good things about the seminar program at my school too. AP Capstone might not be the biggest help but I would for sure love to take a class oriented towards research simply because it will probably go on to supplement the work I do for the rest of my life :sweat_smile: be it medical or engineering.

If AP bio works in your schedule junior year and you want to take it, that’s great!

I am still not sure how students in your school go about scheduling classes, but it’s fine. Seems you figured out a plan that works for you. Good luck!

Thank you! It’s pretty weird at my school, I agree but yeah I think I found what works!

1 Like

You can be an engineer or end up in med school, even without any of these classes. You’ll be fine.

2 Likes

What would your 10th, 11th, and 12th grade schedules look like?
Or can you show the logical progression:
ENGLISH: Humanities GT->…->…->…
MATH:
SCIENCE:
HISTORY/SOCIAL SCIENCE:
ACADEMIC CLASS 6:
ELECTIVE 1:
ELECTIVE 2:

So my actual registration page is currently down for the school so I can’t provide a nice chart but here’s one I have myself, all the classes are out of order and there’s no organized category for classes but it fulfills graduation and the requirements for some of the unis I am planning on applying to.

I might also test out of pre-calculus this spring because I really wan to take calc BC in 10th to get an earlier start in attending higher level math courses at my local community college. The yellow highlights are AP classes and the green is a community college course (hence it being double-blocked).

1 Like

I also realized I forgot to highlight AP Psych. so sorry about that!

Furthermore the two ap’s in 12th grade labled “AP 0.5” are ap government and ap microeconomics (both half semester courses) which I need for graduation and I really do not want to take the on-level course offering at my school because of how little depth is given to the course.

You will have 15 APs and 2 CC classes? It’s amazing to me the differences between high schools. The “top” students in our HS take about 6 and do not begin until junior year, and we live in a very good district with excellent guidance.

I can’t tell the progression of classes and what you are taking each year.

1 Like

This is similar to our school. It’s amazing to me when I read about kids taking 15-20 AP classes. My D managed 4 lol

1 Like

I agree with you. Nobody in our school takes this many APs. Nobody.

And this student seems to be taking 15 APs with no guidance from a teacher or guidance counselor.

Most don’t take BC period nor is it required to get into the top schools.

It seems a bit aggressive but perhaps you’re a protege.

It’s not a race….

But perhaps you can find some math competitions if you’re that strong.

Let’s not go off-topic. What students do at your school is irrelevant.

Well community college is not that big an option at my school as most students simply are not accelerated enough to do it.

I am a bit confused on what you mean by progression, if you mean you can’t interpret the chart it goes 9-12th grade from left to right. Sorry about that, that one’s on me.

I’m hoping to compete in AMC next year after I gain more knowledge about math in general so I have a better shot. And as for other competitions I have a few science fairs coming up which me and my friends might do together (and I might do a few solo).

1 Like