Difficulty deciding what classes to take sophomore year

Yes, that’s what I meant. That’s ok.

I understand that is seems you want to accelerate in all areas…but really…what’s the rush? Why are you so intent on taking so many AP courses and now courses at the local CC.

1 Like

Honestly, I have no real answer to that question, with all the competitive stuff other kids are doing and how the counselors are telling us about top admission becoming more and more competitive each year to top programs across the country it just feels like this is the minimum. I could be totally flawed but even someone like me knows that the top schools don’t just take everyone.

Please understand also, that these top schools reject over 90% of those who apply. In that 90% are plenty of very very very well qualified applicants.

If you end up applying to these sorts of schools…and do or don’t get accepted, you will never know why.

But in the meantime, you are spending your time doing academics, academics, academics. These top schools are looking for students who aren’t just academic hunting.

You are a 9th grader. Yes, you want to take a strong courseload. But please also allow yourself time to do things beside courses.

3 Likes

Plus you are at least now, thinking of two fields, where short of a few schools like MIT or Cal Tech, it’s totally unnecessary.

If you’re at that level fantastic and go for it. But what if you overstep ?

You might end up eliminating schools you might have had interest in if it’s too much and your grades don’t hold up.

Ultimately you, your counselors and the teacher recommendations will guide to where you should be.

I can’t imagine a regular public being this competitive. But in the end, do what you need do do, but also make sure it’s realistic. You might be cautious now and revisit at year end. Obviously you’re ahead of the curve but even AB is enough to get you in most anywhere.

Good luck.

2 Likes

I understand, extracurriculars are important and I am doing my best to excel in those as well.

I think you are doing this backwards.

It seems you have top colleges already picked out (and you are only in 9th grade) and are trying hard to mold yourself (for lack of a better word) to fit in.

I would take the classes that interest you, do well without getting overly stressed, and enjoy HS (friends, clubs, activities, leadership, etc). When you approach junior year you can research schools.

Just my opinion. HS is not a race to the finish line.

5 Likes

Our public school is by no means “that competitive” haha. However it’s the sad statistics from our school which worry me. We haven’t really had anyone admitted to the Ivy league except for exceptional people and atheletes so yeah.

1 Like

Yeah, that’s my bad for seeming rushed, I think I need to get some priorities straight.

1 Like

Great bcuz for engineering and pre med you don’t need Ivy !!

You likely don’t know who has and hasn’t gotten in. You likely have seen who attends. Just bcuz you get in doesn’t mean you go. Top students often choose others or don’t even apply bcuz not everyone has $400k (if they don’t have demonstrated need). You likely have Ivy caliber students on every or near every flagship in America. In our wealthy county, a girl turned down Yale for a full ride to Auburn. I only know bcuz her essay got attention and she became a national story - writing her essay about papa John pizza and turning down Yale for auburn. I’ve been served near UTK by a student who turned down northwestern and my daughters best guy friend at her unranked regional got into Penn, Rice and Vandy.

You’ve yet to get a hs grade. Slow down about where you’ll go or who got in where. They aren’t you.

But most importantly yes get the right class you may be right - you are ready to skip multiple levels. But make sure the experts who know you best weigh in.

2 Likes

Sorry, but. I don’t really understand… no one’s ever really talked to me about this stuff before so I don’t really know how most of it works. Aren’t the ivys the best institutions in the nation?

There are many outstanding colleges in this country, not just the Ivy League. College is what you make of it, and if you have the drive you can succeed.

Ivy League schools are very competitive and most do not get accepted despite being qualified. You will find strong students at all schools, and you can do premed or engineering at most of them (some schools might not have engineering, etc).

It’s quite possible that nobody has spoken to you about this because you just started 9th grade and it’s very early. Is your guidance counselor telling you now (as a freshman) how competitive these schools are? That is very stressful and not necessary.

1 Like

So what? You do know that there are thousands of colleges that aren’t in the Ivy League, right?

I would hate to see you get all stressed out as a high school student. Really…I agree…take what is if interest to you…and as I said, you do want to take a challenging courseload. But you also don’t need to overdo it.

There are plenty of colleges out there that will want the you who graduates from high school…plenty.

Many factors go into choosing a college - first and foremost cost. My daughter was not allowed to apply Ivy because they have no merit aid and dad wasn’t going to spend $350k plus. She had a dollar limit.

Different schools are strong in different fields.

The selectivity of Ivy is top notch. But Ivy itself is just an athletic conference, like the Big 10. Even within Ivy, there are some huge differences.

But I think now you’re two years early to be focused on this.

Do great in school including taking the right classes for you, get involved, make an impact extracurricularly - whether in band, sports, a part time job or club.

Stop back in two years - and it’ll be great. We can see where you are then.

1 Like

This is a sample of one. There are parents who are willing to pay the full cost of attendance anywhere…because they can, and therefore do not set a price limit. This is a family decision.

But this does bring up a good point. Have you discussed finances for college with your parents? At some point, this conversation needs to happen. You need to know what your family is willing to fund. You are three years away from college, and some of those privates could easily be $100,000 a year by that time.

2 Likes

You have a point. I’ll talk about it a little with my parents and see what they have to think.

3 Likes

Thank you everyone for your reply, each one I read gives me more and more knowledge about something our counselor didn’t bother to explain. And me being the oldest child with parents not from here (mom got degree in UK and dad from foreign) I don’t know a lot about the process.

3 Likes

Understood - I’m just noting short of demonstrated need, many factors go into college selection - cost, distance, size, weather with cost being #1 unless there are no limitations. But even when not, some families may choose the one where they can save…

It’s entirely a family discussion but likely too early to discuss and we don’t know OPs situation but noting to mom/dad that college will potentially cost $400k when I go plus another 400 if I go to med school might be a smart seed to plant.

Really it’s too early to do so.

The point I making is that not all top flight kids go to top flight schools for various reasons, including money.

OP has two more years b4 needing to worry about this but hopefully the family has a 529 or other savings mechanism to help fund school.

I don’t think any hs counselor is talking to a just started 9th grader about college. After you deliver inside and outside the classroom, then they’ll have that chat.

Maybe, or maybe not. Anyways all the advice from here helps a ton :slight_smile: