Difficulty of getting into Blount?

<p>I’ve applied for UFE and CBHP, and I understand that both of those are incredibly competitive and largely based on luck. I have also applied for the Blount Initiative, but I’ve yet to hear how hard/unlikely it is to get in. Can I assume that if someone has the presidential, wrote decent essays, and can interview decently that they have a good chance of getting in?</p>

<p>There’s not a ton of info here on Blount. I’ve attended a presentation on campus and my impression was that they’re more interested in creativity than scores. It sounds like a wonderful program. My d is double majoring and in the STEM MBA program so she never considered Blount because of the additional academic requirements not fitting in her schedule.</p>

<p>^So, for purposes of getting in/getting an interview, would it rest entirely on the quality of your essays? </p>

<p>Thanks for the feedback! Also, love the username!</p>

<p>I think they want students who are articulate, interesting, outside-the-box thinkers. But my experience is limited.
Here is my advice at this juncture, you already did your applications for these programs so stop second-guessing yourself. There are tons of opportunities on campus and you will find some that you will be just right for.</p>

<p>Edjumacation: I hope this does not sound harsh and that you take this opinion and advice the right way. You sound flippant about your application to CBH and UFE. I take umbrage at your thought that getting into CBH or UFE is a crapshoot based on luck. The entire process by which students are picked is a very well thought out, highly involved process. Yes, it is highly competitive…that is one of the reasons these programs are highly sought after by top notch students. I don’t see luck as playing a part in the process unless you think it lucky that these students have worked their tails off getting great grades, high test scores, getting involved in tons of community service, competing on regional/national academic teams, are proven team players and communicators, are skilled in a variety of extracurriculars, write well, and interview well. Lets put the emphasis on Hard Work not on random luck.</p>

<p>I hope that you can compete with these prospective CBH’ers and UFE students and EARN a spot in either of these two programs, but if you do not, please don’t have sour grapes over it. That would just mean that there is someone in the highly qualified pool of candidates that was just a little more qualified.</p>

<p>There are plenty of opportunities at UA, some of which you will be qualified for, some of which you will have to work hard to get to the point where you would qualify. However, as my student says, “If you never try for the opportunity, you will never get it.” Sure you may get turned down, but you will never have a chance if you don’t try.</p>

<p>Please take these programs seriously. The students who are currently in these programs, their mentors, their advisors and their professors value these programs and work hard to maintain the quality of these programs. The students work each day to affirm their commitment to both CBH and UFE.</p>

<p>^I apologize. If it seemed that I was saying that those who got into UFE and CBHP did so on luck, that was not my intention at all. What I was trying to communicate was that the UFE and CBHP are so insanely competitive that no one, no matter how qualified, can ever “expect” to get in. </p>

<p>I apologize if it came off as rude.</p>

<p>No problem :)</p>

<p>I’m not in the Blount program but I live in the Blount dorm so I know a lot of people who are. The program itself doesn’t seem super challenging, but it IS a lot of work, and the students who are in it complain about it all the time. If literature and liberal arts are something you love though, then it could be a good fit for you.</p>