Dilemma with the Deposit for UM

<p>So, I got accepted into the University of Miami, but the thing is since the deposit is due on May 1st, it's kind of conflicting with my other decisions. Some of my UC decisions won't come until April 26th or April 27th, a few days before the deadline, plus my parents do not want me to decide what college to go to until I come home from school in May. and the even bigger concern is that I applied to the University of Washington and that decision won't come until June to July, so I have no idea whether or not I should put a deposit in the University of Miami, especially since I am not allowed to double deposit seeing as how when I signed the CommonApp it said so or else my acceptance will be rescinded. Has anyone had this problem or know what to do? I'm going to contact Admissions from the University of Miami and the University of Washington tomorrow to see what they have to say. Thank you for reading this in advance and I appreciate all the help.</p>

<p>By the way, I am seriously considering all the schools I have applied to.</p>

<p>Call the admissions office. Normally they can grant you an extension to the deadline.</p>

<p>@Marinebio444, Thank you, yeah I’m going to call tomorrow.</p>

<p>So, I called Admissions and the lady was not very unhelpful, she just said you can pay the deposit after May 1st, but I won’t be guaranteed a spot and that’s all she said.</p>

<p>Can’t you discuss this with your parents before May 1? If you get into the UC’s, would you rather go there than Miami? Or will you go to the UC if you get accepted? Just prepare for all the different outcomes. </p>

<p>Since you can only deposit at one school, you can send your deposit to Miami before May 1. If you hear positive news from Washington, you can let Miami know you are not coming then deposit to Washington. You would lose your enrollment deposit at Miami. Why is the Washington decision coming in so late?</p>

<p>@MTnest It’s kind of difficult, my parents want to discuss it with me in person and well I’m in Boston while they’re in California, it also would make it a lot easier on me to see them in person. It honestly depends on what UCs I get into I believe, also I’m trying to find out the various research opportunities and etc. that I can possibly find at the different place I am applying to.</p>

<p>Yeah, I think I’m going to deposit into the Miami just in case, but I think I’m going to do it closer to the deadline, no need to rush at the moment. Someone on the University of Washington forum said they called UW and they were fine with depositing at another school I believe.</p>

<p>I honestly have no idea why UW’s decision comes so late, I asked around, but no real explanation for it. :/</p>

<p>Make sure you just don’t end up with no options. Better be safe that sorry. It has been such a crazy year, some times parents are not fully aware (as I wasn’t ) how unpredictable this acceptances can be. You can get a letter from all the schools you were expecting (hopefully), just one or even none.</p>

<p>@ddahwan, yeah I understand, I got into UC Santa Barbara too, but that’s not due until June 1st, but I agree, I’m pretty afraid I won’t get into other places, but I hope I do. My freshmen year, I was completely unaware of that fact and only got into my safety, but now I’m prepared.</p>

<p>I am glad that you have other options coming your way. I am sure everything will work out in the end.</p>

<p>@ddahwan, Thank you, I’m hoping to get some more decisions soon, don’t want to check everyday though, nearly have a heart attack waiting for the home page to show up every time I log in.</p>

<p>Marquise what UC schools haven’t you heard from? My son has heard from every one he applied to.</p>

<p>Marquis, I would call any schools you haven’t heard from as of yet. It is rather late. The Common App has a waiver you sign to agree you will only deposit to one school.</p>

<p>@mauswa For transfers? I haven’t heard back from Davis, Irvine, San Diego, Berkeley, and LA. I just checked about two days ago, some of them they say that they won’t come out until April 30th like a specific date and others say ranging from Mid-March to late April.</p>

<p>@skewlcounselor, yeah I read that. :confused: I’m expecting all the UCs before the deadline to deposit at the U, the only one I’m concerned about is University of Washington. which isn’t until June to July.</p>