Dilemma

<p>So this is my problem. I will be majoring in Business/accounting and I’ve already SIR’ed to CSULB thinking that my tuition will be around $4k in my 2nd, 3rd and 4th year, but when I called today to ask about my financial aid, they said that because I am receiving Cal Grant B, they will take away my State Uni Grant in my 2nd, 3rd, 4th year which will actually make my tuition about $8.8~8.9k a year. </p>

<p>I would like some advice because after finding out that CSULB is more expensive than the UC’s , I don’t know if I made the right choice. My family’s income is only about $30k and I also have another sister who will be going to college next year. I would like to take out the least amount of loans as I can.
Financial aid, nice and enjoyable environment/city, and distance from home are big factors in my college selection. I would like to get away from home but not be too far away from home.</p>

<p>I made it into these schools and this is what I have to pay:</p>

<p>UCR (Pre Bus Accounting): $5.5k a year including work study
UCSB (Econ with Accounting): $7.3k a year including work study</p>

<p>CSULB: (Pre Bus Accounting): $8.3k in first year, $8.8~9k in the rest of the years
CSUF (didn’t offer w/s): (Pre Bus Accounting): $11k in first year, $11.6k in rest of years
SDSU: (didn’t offer w/s): (Pre Bus Accounting): $12k in first year, $12.5k " "
SLO: (didn’t offer w/s): (Pre Bus Accounting): $10.8k first year, $11.4k later on</p>

<p>I’ve calculate all the cal states by taking out the State Uni Grant and replacing it with Cal Grant B. Please help!</p>

<p>PS Sorry for my rant…I’m just a mess because now I only have a week before the deadline. I know I should have double checked. :(</p>

<p>We had the same situation: with the UC Blue and Gold, it was actually less expensive to go to a UC, and so ended up at UCR (and very happy).</p>

<p>Now, your situation could change in future years if there are 2 of you going to college, so you may end up getting more financial aid in future years than you think.</p>

<p>typically it is recommended to graduate 4 years of college with no more than $20-25K of debt. So, you should consider what will get you closest to that.</p>

<p>Other than CSULB, what is your second preference? It looks like you have quite a few!</p>

<p>Thanks for the reply!
For now, I’m leaning towards UCR because it is an hour away from where I live. I would consider SB, but it’s just too far away for me (about 2-3 hrs away depending on traffic) and I would like the chance to be able to come home.
How are you like UCR? How’s the weather and the city? What about the business program at UCR?</p>

<p>I would recommend that you post some questions in the UCR forum. There is a lot of good info. Also join the Facebook page to see what is happening.</p>

<p>If you don’t mind hot weather, you will be fine. It is pretty warm year round, so people can be in shorts in January! </p>

<p>Business program is well regarded there.</p>

<p>Same thing happened to me. UCs ended up being cheaper than CSUs.</p>

<p>You should be able to narrow it down to UCR, UCSB, and Cal Poly. Of those three, I personally would pick UCSB.</p>