Dining halls open during fall break?

<p>Fall break is October 27 Thurs., 28 Fri., 29 Sat. and 30 Sun. Are any dining halls open that take the meal swipes? </p>

<p>Here’s what I can tell using the Bama Dining’s calendar:</p>

<p>Oct. 27 Thurs. Burke open 8am-8:30pm; Bryant open 10:30am-2pm and 4:30pm-8pm (extra 10 bucks though for dinner); Lakeside and Fresh Foods are closed.</p>

<p>Oct. 28 Fri. Burke open 8am-8:30pm; Bryant open 10:30am-2pm; Lakeside and Fresh Foods closed.</p>

<p>Oct. 29 Sat. Burke open 8am-8:30pm; Bryant, Lakeside, and Fresh foods are closed.</p>

<p>Oct. 30 Sun. Burke open 4:30pm-8:30pm; Bryant open 4:30pm-8pm (extra 10 bucks for dinner); Lakeside 10:30am-8:30pm and 10pm-1am; Fresh Foods closed.</p>

<p>I can tell you that many kids will be wandering around The Strip and Midtown Village for their meals during fall break.</p>

<p>Burke is part of the meal plan and seems to be open all 4 days.</p>

<p>It’s a bit of a walk for those in the suite dorms but it’s not too bad. Many say the food at Burke is better than Lakeside as well.</p>

<p>The food at Burke is much better than Lakeside IMHO. But it is a bit of hike for honors dorm kids.</p>

<p>Thanks for your thoughts. </p>

<p>Are all the academic buildings closed?</p>

<p>What do the students do during the break?<br>
Just hang out?<br>
Study?</p>

<p>They catch up on any homework/studying…</p>

<p>They spend a lot of time at The Strip, Downtown, or Midtown Village. Those areas will be crawling with students.</p>

<p>Those with friends who have cars might take day trips somewhere.</p>

<p>Some kids will be studying, or continuing their research in their labs or working at their part-time jobs or here is the most important thing…sleeping. Catching up on sleep is paramount!</p>

<p>I kind of feel a little bad as it is S’s b’day but no one will be home. All the fall breaks of his friends are the week or two earlier. He is coming for Thanksgiving, so hopefully that will be sufficient. He can relax, catch up on sleep and homework instead of spending two full days traveling.</p>

<p>Campus will be operating as usual that Thursday and Friday, but classes are cancelled and dining and transportation schedules are running limited hours.</p>

<p>Bryant and Burke are the dining halls closest to the Honors College (Nott Hall), but are a 10-15 minute walk from the honors dorms. I agree that both usually offer better food than Lakeside and Fresh Foods.</p>

<p>FWIW, Honors students have 24/7 access (except on gamedays) to the bottom floor of Nott Hall.</p>

<p>Keep in mind that your kids have been on campus for about a month now. Some are starting to tire of the dining halls for many/most/all of their meals. When my kids were frosh, this was the time that they started wandering off campus for a great variety of meals. </p>

<p>Since the dining halls will have more limited hours and more limited food choices during the fall break, your kids will likely wander off campus as well.</p>

<p>Don’t forget, there is also a Publix…this would be a good time to do some food shopping and cook a meal or two.</p>

<p>Will academic buildings be open during fall break for students to do some studying, work on research?</p>

<p>Most academic buildings are probably not needed for studying…the libraries would likely suffice. </p>

<p>Which buildings does your son need?</p>

<p>I think CBH kids have access to their lab.</p>

<p>I imagine that some buildings will be open for those who have profs/grad students doing research with live animals/bugs/etc…but I think most academic buildings would be closed because they’re just classrooms.</p>

<p>like m2ck said, it depends on the buildings. The libraries will probably be open, and a few labs may be, but most will be closed, unless they are ACTcard access and the student has access 24/7, like I know a few engineering buildings are. Most however will be closed.</p>

<p>Thanks for all of your help. I showed D this thread. She will probably do laundry, sleep, study, and go to Publix. Nice to know some of the libraries and other buildings might be open.</p>

<p>I was wondering if Hardaway and Rogers Library and perhaps even Paty would be open.</p>

<p>Hardaway is key access only, so it will be open only if the ME and AEM offices are open or if they deem that the computer lab will be needed during fall break. I’d say the odds are against it being open. Rogers on the other hand will probably be open some, but not its usual 24/5. Since Paty is a dorm, it may be be open, but they may close the engineering commons if they cant staff it. Not that the engineering commons is actually useful…</p>