Direct Admit for Engineering for Fall 2016 Semester

What are the middle 50% stats for engineering students at UW? Since engineering is direct admit this year, I’d like to understand the stats on engineering students.

Students still get admitted to the university as a whole regardless of major. If your concern is for a student being competitive for admissions you need to pay attention to the whole UW pool of students. The only stats are for all admitted students. Remember that composite test scores are used so it could be that engineering students likely have higher/lower stats for different test sections than those who chose other majors that average out to the same as the rest of the student population. There will be science and math students who could have higher test scores in the same fields as engineering majors.

Apparently students can be admitted to the College of Engineering as freshmen this year. Since students can change majors at any time, including at SOAR, and apply to engineering later there will not be meaningful stats. I do not believe the College of Engineering has any incoming freshman stats available as well.

Remember that engineering students take many classes in Letters and Sciences- math and science courses plus breadth requirements- so the caliber of all students defines the peer group.

Speculation here on my part for the above. I don’t consider engineering any tougher than many other majors. The sciences and math draw top students who take Honors sequences.

Short answer- just look at the UW stats as a whole.

Thanks for your reply, that is good to hear. How do these stats look?

OOS -IL
ACT = 31
UW GPA =3.7
AP Classes = 9 (4 Sr Year)
Attended UW Engineering Tomorrow’s Careers Camp

Looks good to me. Be sure to have your daughter apply for the Engineering scholarships. It’s important to note that the scholarship deadline might be before she hears back on her admission decision, so don’t wait for the decision.

http://www.engr.wisc.edu/current/coe-current-undergraduate-scholarships.html

Note that the LEED scholarship has a separate application process from the incoming freshman scholarship (contact the Diversity Affairs Office).

Thanks so much for the links to the scholarships!