Direct freshmen Business School admits begin

<p>As I have been saying, the UW is beginning a direct admit program for the School of Business. </p>

<p>Undergraduate</a> Admissions Go to New Cycle – Wisconsin School of Business Gazette</p>

<p>Does this mean people who applied this year have a chance at getting directly admitted?</p>

<p>Ughhhthis is so lame!!! Why couldn’t they make it a 4 year program sooner?!</p>

<p>And according to the article, students were invited to apply and only a few of them will be admitted.
I talked to my friend from Madison who discussed this with the director: only 20 incoming 2010 fall freshmen will be admitted.</p>

<p>I don’t know if you have to be “invited” to apply because I really want direct admission…</p>

<p>The opening statement on the link above indicates that only some of the highest ranking admitted will be invited to apply as freshmen and that only a few of those who apply will be chosen. I think they are trying to keep some top students who may go elsewhere due to the uncertainty of business school admissions later.</p>

<p>It will be expanded over time to far more than 20. UW SOB is aware it is losing some top students to direct admits at UM, Uminn, Illinois, and Indiana and wants to fix that. But I doubt it will be more than 10% of the SOB each year or about 100-150. They want most kids to earn there way in while at UW and it’s hard to tell who will actually do well. They need to hire more admissions people to work with freshmen admissions. But it’s coming soon. This year was a test.</p>

<p>More details: Up to 10% of each class can be freshmen admits. Those admits will also likely take the new SOB FIG which will feature small classes. Sounds like a good deal…</p>

<p>[Wisconsin</a> School of Business to Offer First-Year Interest Group – Wisconsin School of Business Gazette](<a href=“http://www.bus.wisc.edu/gazette/2010/03/wisconsin-school-of-business-to-offer-first-year-interest-group/]Wisconsin”>http://www.bus.wisc.edu/gazette/2010/03/wisconsin-school-of-business-to-offer-first-year-interest-group/)</p>

<p>Too late for me, I’m going to Carlson at the U of M.</p>