Discrimination?

<p>is the discrimination problem against asians severe in Indiana?</p>

<p>um...I am not sure how to answer your answer. Have you heard stories of racial discriminations in Purdue?</p>

<p>There are hundreds of foreign students attending Purdue. There are a lot of Chinese students who are from China and those who were born in the U.S. (Chinese-Americans), there are many Japanese (There is a Subaru plant near Purdue and there have been numerous Japanese families who moved to Lafayette area because of the intra-company move to the U.S. from Japan but a lot of them went back to Japan as the plant is now mostly managed by trained American employees), a lot of Koreans and Korean-Americans as well as some Malaysians, Indonesians. </p>

<p>Many of you might notice that there are MANY INDIANS. Indian students are majoring in either engineering or science fields. Have you noticed that Indian students are enrolled especially at the schools that are well known in either engineering or science? </p>

<p>I myself am an Asian-American. I have not experienced any discrimination. Although there are some students who do not hate but try to avoid getting along with minority students, I did not see any discrimination against African-Americans, Asian-Americans, or Latino-Americans. I am sure that even if some people do not like particular group of people, they won't show it. </p>

<p>Purdue, despite the fact that it is located in somewhat less diverse region of the nation, celebrates its diversity on campus.</p>

<p>I have not been out to Indiana other than the campus so much...so I cannot quite answer your question.</p>

<p>I've heard that if you go out to some off areas of Indiana, there are people who do not want to get along with minority groups.</p>

<p>Just try to avoid kids with big ass trucks. General rule of thumb, if you see a big ass truck driven by some bald white kids with louds rock music in that area, just try not to instigate any confrontations with them.</p>

<p>Look, the campus is pretty diverse with different people from different areas of the nation and the world. You won't feel like you are the only Asian-American stuck in Indiana with all the European-Americans. People are very kind and nice there.</p>

<p>Actually my first roommate disliked African-American students. But he does get along with them. The general milieu of the campus or dormitory is fun and loud. Everyone gets along very well. </p>

<p>I am sure that people in regional areas of Indiana are bit different though. They are not used to see people from other parts of the world. They wouldn't show their hatred, because they don't hate. However I am sure they would, at first, have reservation for you might be seen as a foreigner even if you were born here and all.</p>

<p>I've heard from someone that, this Asian-American kid went to a fast food restaurant and was about to order what he wanted. But the cashier ignored the Asian-American totally. </p>

<p>You know, even Asian-Americans ourselves have some reservation when dealing with different ethnic groups. I guess it's the same thing but then it all comes down to what degree.</p>

<p>Being a minority student in such off place with less diversity could be difficult because if you make one mistake, then this will be instilled in the others' minds and they would be misled to think all Asian-Americans are like that or all African-Americans are like that.</p>

<p>I am sure you will be fine. There is no discrimination on campus unless you want...(?) Just try to be like who you are, the typical you. You are an Asian-American, and the people wouldn't expect you to act like a person from European-American background or an African-American. Just be who you are, an Asian-American. And they have no problem with that. Who would have?</p>

<p>The kids are nice there. Don't worry about discrimination. If you feel like you are being discriminated, then speak to your RA or call for help from the police. One of the policemen there is an Asian-American, and I guess...you would feel comfortable about that?</p>

<p>good luck</p>

<p>never heard of any discrimination at all... most of the people who cry about being a minority at purdue are usually the people who segregate themselves into their own racial groups. From my experience visiting purdue and living in central indiana most of the racist people are the ones who barely make it out of high school.</p>

<p>but yea... avoid the big pickup trucks until you get to know the people who drive them. In indiana there is this fad among some of being a redneck "poser". These kids usually grow up in the suburbs right outside of indianapolis and think they should live the redneck lifestyle because they hunt deer sometimes and chew tobacco. But even these kids usually end up being cool once you get to know them.</p>

<p>My son wants to work with the international community and sought out diverse schools. Purdue was not the most diverse but within the engineering it certainly is. At Purdue he has seen no discrimination so far (he would not ever tolerate it) and is very happy. In fact, I would say most of his friends are not white. He is in a happy, nice group of friends. He's currently tutoring a non English speaking foreigner and enjoys it.</p>

<p>thank you very much for ur replies guys :)</p>