Discuss your reasons for applying to EOP

I am on the part of the UC application process where you can apply to Educational Opportunity Program (EOP).

If you are not familiar with the program here is how they describe it directly from the application form: “EOP and similar campus programs provide assistance through mentorship, academic programs, financial assistance, counseling/advising, and other campus support services to those who are first-generation college students, and/or from low-income and educationally disadvantaged backgrounds. EOP serves students from all ethnic backgrounds, and is open only to California residents and to American Indians from any state.”

This is what I have come up with(although it’s over the 240 character limit) and would like to know if I am on the right tracks/ how would I keep to the limit without affecting the description too much.

“As an immigrant family, the reason for our relocation was for the benefit of my education, one I have assured to be my top priority. My family, and I, cannot support a University education due to our economic status and knowledge of the college process. This gap can be closed with the services of EOP.”

Does this sound right?
Please give opinions and suggestions. Thank you!

This sounds fine. You still need to fill out your parents’ level of education, family size and household income later in the application which is also used to determine eligibility.

The only UC’s that have an EOP program are UC Berkeley, UC Davis, UC Santa Barbara, and UC Santa Cruz. Luckily, there are comparable programs at the other UC schools.