Disturbing article in The Tuscaloosa News today

<p>An article published in The Tuscaloosa New today describes some disturbing behavior which was allegedly carried out recently by a UA grad student who was dismissed by the UA. It seems there was some stalking and the implication of threats made against some of the UA administration following his dismissal and lasted for nearly a month up to the end of November. The article was quite disturbing. I’m glad this was taken seriously and actions have been taken. I hope this individual gets the help he seems to need.</p>

<p>It’s a large university so unfortunate incidents are going to occur. Could & probably does happen all over the country.</p>

<p>Yes, unfortunately you are right…it happens often and could have happened anywhere. It certainly isn’t unique to the UA and I wasn’t implying otherwise. While it would be disturbing no matter what campus it was, having students at the UA makes it more personal to me.</p>

<p>I’m glad that it appears the UA took appropriate actions to protect all involved. My thoughts are with all involved.</p>

<p>Grad student in which academic discipline ?</p>

<p>The online article identifies the student and says he was a 28 year old doctoral physics student who had been dismissed in October.</p>

<p>My son recognized the grad student as his physics TA in his freshman year.</p>

<p>Some of the brightest people seem to cause their own problems. It could have happened anywhere.
Alabama is an interesting campus. Easily among the most formal, and polite, that I’ve ever experienced. I love The South.</p>

<p>I wish I could say that “I love the South” too. My daughter has been called “stupid, moron, ignorant yankee” for the last couple of months that all I can say is “I’m so done with the South”.</p>

<p>^^^This is in regards to the above post from Bama2012Parent. This is your very first post, and today is your join date, thus I can’t help but suspect that you are a “■■■■■”. However, in case you are a real person with a real concern, I will try to say something useful. </p>

<p>First let me say that, I am a Northerner and I know many students who are currently attending The University of Alabama. Many of these students are either from out of state or Northerners themselves. I do not know of any mean spirited incidents such as you have described. I know that personally, I have always been treated with the utmost respect and courtesy by students, staffers, professors and the UA administration. I have also heard the same from all the students I know. I have witnessed the kindest acts while on campus and I am always impressed by the Southern Hospitality. That is pretty much what we hear from each person who visits, they are impressed by the nice people they meet. I am curious, did you do a campus visit prior to your daughter attending UA? What did you think then??</p>

<p>I know that there can be some good natured ribbing that takes place among students, perhaps where someone is called a Yankee, but as I said it is in jest. Sometimes the students from up North will cheerfully refer to themselves as a Yankee. It is in no way meant to be derogatory or self derogatory, just more descriptive. Could your daughter have encountered a situation such as I have described and misconstrued the intent??</p>

<p>I don’t know if something out of line was said or not. But I will suggest that if this indeed happened, and the individuals who are doing this are considered “friends” or “acquaintances” by your daughter, then she needs to find a new group to hang with. She needs to join a group (or several) that would never tolerate such behavior. That should be very easy, because as I said, the name-calling you described is juvenile and not the way I have seen students act towards each other on campus. Is it possible for a 17 or 18 year old be to be immature? Of course. That is why I suggest a different peer group, a group that is more mature. I would also be curious if there is one particular person who has done this or a group? Sometimes you need to acquire a thicker skin to go through life, this comment is not meant to indicate that I would condone any type of bullying. I do not condone bad behavior or name calling of any sort. I just question who you are and the legitimacy of this complaint, due to this being your first post and due to its negative tone.</p>

<p>Agree with robotbldmom the post sounds like a “■■■■■”…if it is a valid reporting hoping your D addressed it in a manner to create positive change.
We are also NY parents- our D and her friends at UA from the northeast have never experienced anything of the sort mentioned nor have we or any of the other northeast parents we know when visiting campus/Tuscaloosa-the south.</p>