Diversity at Texas A&M?

<p>Hey guys, I am from NY state, come from a VERY diverse state, and HS!</p>

<p>Parents moving down to Houston next yr, so I applied to the "decent" colleges around them!</p>

<p>I told some of my friends I'm applying to A&M, and they said don't go there.</p>

<p>My friend, who moved up to NY from Texas, says that A&M is not diverse, and not welcoming of other races? I happen to be Indian, and he said I will face a tough time at A&M?</p>

<p>Is this true, not trying to hate on A&M, just trying to get your honest opinions :)</p>

<p>Also, he said that A&M is very conservative and closed minded!</p>

<p>I am one of those rare Republicans in NY, but I am liberal on many issues as well!</p>

<p>I am not going to say that what your friend says is entierly incorrect. Yes, TAMU is not as diverse as other schools, and I can see how it could be an intimidating setting, but not once while I have been here have a seen an unwelcoming gesture to ANYONE!. </p>

<p>A lot of things influence peoples opinions of TAMU, but if you friends have not attended to/visited this university then I would seek some better opinions. If they have, then I am sorry that they had a bad experience. Like I said, I think this place could definitely come off as an intimidating atmosphere for some.</p>

<p>And as far as political preferences, professors I have had tend to be more liberal than anything. People far from closed minded because honestly you can’t be closed minded and make contributions to any field. I honestly don’t think that political affiliation should even be considered, but some people definitely get turned on and off by it.</p>

<p>I am not intimidated by white people, most of my friends are white, however, he said that they are unfriendly to minorities!</p>

<p>He lived in Dallas so yea, but he just told me its the rumors that go around</p>

<p>Furthest thing from the truth</p>

<p>You do have to understand that we are in Texas with many strong universities so it is easy to hear negative things about every single place because there is just some rivalry among all the universities as to who is best. </p>

<p>I would say that until you can substantiate these claims from your friends that you should just keep an open mind to it all and see for yourself!</p>

<p>I do want to see for myself, and Texas A&M is at the top of my list :)</p>

<p>I do feel he was over-exaggerating it, but some info online says the same stuff he does!</p>

<p>That being said, I hope I get accepted first, hopefully my 3.7 and 1250 get my in haha!</p>

<p>I truly don’t believe you’ll find a more friendly, family feeling campus. There are of course the tools that every school in the nation has, but except for these outliers A&M is the best.</p>

<p>"Racist</p>

<p>F
The clubs around the A&M campus are some of the worst I’ve been to. The music totally sucks and the bouncers aren’t particularly excited to let minorities through the door. Everytime I walked to the clubs some hick white country boys would yell obcenities out the windows of their gas guzziling Ford trucks. I’m sure the clubs are fun if you are blonde.</p>

<p>Read more: http://**************.com/texas-a–and–m-university/#ixzz1A86G8mOU"</p>

<p>Reading reviews like that is what scares me and makes me feel my friend is right!</p>

<p>Ksychic I haven’t attended Texas A&M but I will be. I have older highschool friends though(mostly Hispanic and a few Filipinos) who are going there though and they tell me they’re having a great time. When I went up for Corp of Cadets visits they had plenty of different races and they were just like everyone else. I didn’t see any discrimination. If your friend is from Dallas he might just be hearing rumors cause everyone at A&M seems to be having a great time.
P.S. My sister goes to UT and she says A&M isn’t any worse then UT from her viewpoint when it comes to diversity.</p>

<p>At Texas A&M, your experience is what you make of it. Believe it or not, there are racists and obscene people at every major university in the U.S. Because most universities and colleges in the U.S. are liberal, some people will give a negative slant towards the schools that are more right-leaning, like Texas A&M. You may ask, why is A&M more conservative and less diverse than a school like UT? The answer simply comes down to A&M’s rich militaristic history, as well as its rural location – both of which liberals and/or minorities don’t commonly identify with. From my experiences here, most people are friendly and don’t care what race or religion you are. I am personally friends with individuals from countries like Spain, Mexico, Nepal, India, Argentina, Trinidad, and some others. Personally, I’d say that’s a pretty diverse friend-base. They have never talked to me about bad experiences at A&M. </p>

<p>If you are wanting to attend a liberal, very diverse university, A&M may not be for you. Visit the school, talk to students attending, and see what they think. Most people at A&M are very friendly, and like me, could care less if you are white, black, brown, yellow, orange, or green.</p>

<p>@Ksychic: I’d think the shock of the friendliness of Texans can be a bit overwhelming, if anything. If you don’t like the word “howdy”, stay away from A&M.</p>

<p>Thanks guys, feel a ton better now haha</p>

<p>I love anyone and everyone who has a true passion for Texas A&M. BTHO LSU</p>

<p>My little brother attends Texas A&M currently and he didn’t like it at first, the lack of diversity and the conservative vibe is apparent. He’s making the best of it, and he’s made many friends, none of which are white. Many are from different parts of the world, but as an Indian muslim he does feel the lack of diversity. He only goes there because of the great engineering college, and after all the main purpose of going to college is to get a good degree isnt it?</p>

<p>PS: Texas A&M had to open a diversity office just to address this issue, and although they are aware of the problem, it takes effort and most importantly time to change a culture.
When I was at the Sbisa dining hall recently I saw a few anti-racist buttons on some kids backpacks, which is weird and should be a MAJOR red-flag.</p>

<p>But the fact remains, TAMU is a great school with strong technical majors. As far as academics are concerned TAMU is one of the best public schools in Texas, and the South in general.</p>

<p>Texas A&M is diverse; there are students from North Texas, West Texas, East Texas & South Texas !</p>

<p>@Ksychic: I feel you !!! I’m Chinese and I won’t know anybody at all when I start freshman year cause I’m from Cali and then I moved overseas… I’ve heard bad things too but heck it I’m sure people who don’t like you cause of your skin color probably aren’t nice anyway ! :)</p>

<p>Ksychic: The make-up of the folks you’ll see around TAMU is very different than what you’ll see walking down in street in most large U.S. cities. You can get a sense of that structural diversity by looking at the data: [Official</a> Texas A&M Reports and Statistics|OISP|Institutional Studies](<a href=“http://www.tamu.edu/customers/oisp/]Official”>http://www.tamu.edu/customers/oisp/).</p>

<p>EEstudentPVAMU hit the nail on the head: the TAMU administration is making a concerted effort to educate students about the value of diversity. If you get the chance to visit campus, see how you feel in the environment.</p>

<p>There is a very active Indian Students Association that you might be interested in if you decide to attend: [TAMU</a> ISA | Wix.com](<a href=“http://tamuisa.wix.com/index?ref=nf#]TAMU”>http://tamuisa.wix.com/index?ref=nf#)!.</p>

<p>Best,</p>

<p>Jon Kotinek
Associate Director
Honors and Undergraduate Research</p>

<p>I’m from Dallas and generally people think here that UT is a super liberal school while TAMU is a super conservative school. That being said, I know many people from all different races that have gone to TAMU. On Asian friend I have said that even though he does like the at,osphere of the school in general, he doesn’t want to pass up the great engineering program. So far he seems to be fine there.</p>

<p>I know that there are many Asian students at TAMU (including in the Corps of Cadets), and the ones that I have talked to seemed to have no complaints. It is a more conservative campus, but that doesn’t translate to intolerant.</p>