Diversity

<p>If you were to see 30 people a day, how many of those would include a minority.
How open minded would these 30 people be?</p>

<p>Student Body
How Do I Stack Up?</p>

<p>How does my academic performance stack up?
1st-year students:</p>

<pre><code>* 64% In-state students
* 36% Out-of-state students
* 0% Part-time students

• 53% Women
  • 47% Men

• 1% American Indian/Alaskan Native

• 6% Asian/Pacific Islander

• 3% Black/Non-Hispanic

• 4% Hispanic

• 78% White/Non-Hispanic

• 6% Non-Resident Alien

• 3% Race/ethnicity unreported
    </code></pre>

<p>This is what College board says. I can't comment on how tolerant the student body is as I have never lived there, but it is a very liberal university and would presume it's not an issue at all. As a matter of fact I have read around that UW is trying very hard to increase their diversity so that's a good thing and shows they are trying to improve.</p>

<p>Expect to see mainly white faces as this reflects the state's demographics.</p>

<p>You will not find the higher percentages of blacks as in the South, Hispanics as in the Southwest, or Asians as on the west coast due to historic immigration patterns- location in the upper midwest was a factor geographically in the past. The cold north hasn't been a number one destination for many nonEuropeans, either. I have noticed the more recent state demographic changes that include more minorities. This means more Wis residents have more minorities in their HS classes than in the past. Recent nonEuropean immigrants are often from poorly educated families and need nonfamily encouragement to change college attendance expectations. </p>

<p>Incoming freshmen may be naive about ethnic diversity, but UW's reputation as a liberal school influences who chooses to attend UW as well as opening minds to ideas never considered. The institutional openmindedness influences the students, sometimes to the dismay of back home taxpayers.</p>

<p>There are qualified minority communities in WI (Milwaukee is 40% African American and 15% Hispanic). UW has been working this issue for decades and progress is slow. </p>

<p>The state of WI is 90% white, while the state of MI is 83% white yet UM is 68% white while the UW is 88% white. It's a real bummer IMO.</p>

<p>UW-Milwaukee has proven to be a tough alternative to going away to Madison for Milwaukee minority kids. It's a very good school and they can save lots of $$$ by living at home. Also they can go to school with friends. UW Madison is having much more success with Hispanic and Asian kids which are fast growing minority groups in Wisconsin. There are more Hispanic and Asian than AA kids at Madison and these will be the faster growing minority groups.</p>