Do any of you listen to Ingrid Michaelson, Regina Spektor or the like?

<p>I am an african american female who is usually "ridiculed" for not liking hiphop, r&b.
idk why, but I just love classical music, or like Hotel Cafe style of music (ingrid michaelson)...
any else like me out there? lol.
i hate when people say "why do you hate your culture?" just be/c i just dont like hiphop or rap -_-</p>

<p>While I’m not exactly a huge fan of Ingrid Michaelson or Regina Spektor, I must say that my musical tastes deviate greatly from the norm established by my peers, African-American or not. I love classical music (and I use this in the generalized sense that includes baroque, romantic, etc.), foreign rap (French, Japanese, Korean, South African, etc.), and experimental music (think [Le</a> Bal](<a href=“http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B6JSBXLgbqs]Le”>http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B6JSBXLgbqs) by Hans Reichel), things that have earned me a fair share of ridicule.</p>

<p>Though I must say I can’t blame anyone for not really liking the last song I posted. That is definitely an acquired taste.</p>

<p>Don’t worry you’re not alone. I love ingrid, regina and other singers/songwriters like them. most of the music i’ve always listened to doesn’t fall into the rap hip hop category. and like you, i used to be made fun of because of it. but don’t worry about other ppl. at the end of the day, its you listening to music and if it doesnt make you happy, its not worth your time.</p>

<p>Nope. I stick to must hip-hop, rap, and alternative rock. If I’m not listening to the first two (which is my culture) I’ll be listening to my coldplay, smashing pumpkins, fallout boy, soundgarden, green day, linkin park, etc.</p>

<p>^ hahahah u sound exactly like me-- just add POP music , r & b, and some somali ,indaian and arabic music lol.</p>

<p>But i like listening to regina spektor! (just had a convo earlier today about her w/ someone that i NEVER expected that listens to to her LOL.) she was here in the twin cities a couple of months ago…</p>

<p>Never heard of Ingrid Michaelson…</p>

<p>Nobody likes Hans Reichel. :(</p>

<p>^I dont even know who that is. Enlighten me please.</p>

<p>I have my moods for certain kinds of music which ranges from classical to pop. I admittedly only have 5 classical songs on my ipod that I listen to repeatedly and I need to broaden my horizons a bit. I rarely ever listen to rap. I dont like it, at all. :(</p>

<p>^<a href=“http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B6JSBXLgbqs[/url]”>http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B6JSBXLgbqs&lt;/a&gt;
Enjoy, comrade.</p>

<p>Omg I have never heard anything like that in my life. At first I thought the sounds were his voice distorted in some kind of way but I researched it and he is using something called a daxophone. The demonstration I saw of the different sounds it can make was pretty cool. Hmmm, interesting. You learn something new everyday.</p>

<p>@ksarmand-- LOLOL that was cool. weird, yes, but cool :p</p>

<p>and yeaa I have to stop caring about what others think about me, but people making fun of my music just bothered me :/</p>

<p>I actually just googled the term “weird music” and an album, Gravikords, Whirlies, and Pyrophones came up. After ferreting out an appropriate download site, I found myself wholly amused. I’m glad to know you liked it, or were at least entertained. :)</p>

<p>Try putting that as your ringtone.</p>

<p>Wow, those are like my two FAVORITE singers! :slight_smile: I’m African American and I listen to a lot of alternative music like Paramore and other stuff like the Ting-Tings and Natasha Bedingfield.</p>

<p>^I LUV Paramore.</p>

<p>lol yayay! i dont feel alone anymore :stuck_out_tongue:
paramore is pretty good too!
and i LOVE frank sinatra, billie holiday, and just all the music from the big-band era <3
idk whyy but i just find it so catchy and heartfelt…</p>

<p>Hah, I don’t listen to a lot of old music like that that would be my dad(: But yeah I don’t really share a lot of the same music interests as my friends because most of them listen to Lil Wayne and the like. I feel embarrassed sometimes to share my iPod and stuff with them.</p>