Do AO's care if you take the ACT just once and get a good score compared to someone that takes it several times and super scores?

I know two students that got the same ACT score but one took it once and the other took it several times and super scored it. Would an AO consider this difference?

If a college requires you to report all tests and doesn’t superscore, maybe?

If a college doesn’t require you to report all tests, to me that is a signal they don’t care.

There used to be a few colleges that required you to report them all, but I am not sure about these days.

It depends. Different colleges and/or different AOs may have different views. In any event your scores are your scores and there is no benefit to worrying about these types of comparisons. Two applicants will likely have more meaningful differences in their profile than the number of times standardized tests were taken.

I think Georgetown still does…Maybe a few others as well?

2 Likes

I don’t think taking the test only once and getting a good score is an advantage. Not even sure it would be seen as an advantage at Georgetown where they do see all scores, if there’s more than one (but I’m just speculating and don’t know that for sure).

4 Likes

Yes, it looks like Georgetown still does:

Score Choice

Georgetown does not participate in Score Choice and requires submission of each applicant’s complete testing record, including all SAT, ACT, and/or SAT Subject test scores. We remain firmly committed to a comprehensive and holistic review of all applications, and test scores are considered in their appropriate context.

Penn was another one that I think used to, but now they are just encouraging it.

https://admissions.upenn.edu/how-to-apply/what-penn-looks-for/testing

• Score Choice: Although we permit Score Choice, we encourage students to submit their entire testing history for both ACT and SAT exams.
2 Likes

Yeah, I am not sure either. But at least it is possible there.

1 Like

Scores matter a lot less at elite schools than you have been led to believe and it is becoming less relevant with each passing year.

May depend on how many is “several” times, and whether the college uses subjective review including test score records.

Short answer is no. Do what you need to do. Your are evaluated as a whole person not just your scores and how many times you took them. Some AOs will love the persistence and drive to improve yourself. Not giving up is a great trait for a college student. This might not apply to every school out there but taking it several times won’t be the reason you don’t get in and taking it once and getting a good score won’t be the only reason someone is accepted.

It absolutely does matter if you apply to the UK. You must report your entire testing history and one and done is considered much better (because US standardized tests are easy). Also superscoring is not allowed.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 180 days after the last reply. If you’d like to reply, please flag the thread for moderator attention.