Do black students count themselves out before they even start?

At my school when people(particularly my black friends) see my report card, or the classes I’m taking, they usually look at me like I’m crazy. I know being in 7 ap’s is a lot, but do you think that black students count themselves out before the even get a go at something? I remember when course selections where out for next year, almost none of my black friends wanted to take an AP class because they considered it impossible. I know a lot of them are smart and probably due better than me, but I feel like they hear the stereotype of black students performing subpar to the population so much that they decide to be a statistic. Do you guys feel the same way?

Ummmm how about your non-black friends who look at you and think 7 APs is a lot? Why are you asking only black folks?

smh. Do you really think it’s some YES/NO answer?

@T26E4‌ I don’t think it’s a yes/no answer. I only mentioned my black friends in the post because this is a black forum. The consensus of my white friends honestly varies, some take as much as me, and some don’t take any at all. All I was asking was if you guys see these people to be quitting before the race starts. Of course non-black people can quit before they start, but I wasn’t asking that. I was only referring to black people in general and the stereotypes put on them, influencing their decision. I didn’t mean to come off ignorant sorry!

If I ever counted myself out before I started, my parents would disown me. While I know very few black people, the ones that I do know work their asses off at whatever it is they’re talented in, whether that be a sport, an art, or an academic subject.

I think you’re jumping the gun here. I agree with @T26E4‌. The average person (black or nonblack) does not take AP courses. With your seven and presumably with high grades, that is an added shock value. Some may find more value in a variety of courses other than the limited AP selections.

My D took 3 AP classes her junior year in HS, and 4 senior year - now she’s at the University of Pennsylvania. Keep going!!

Too many teachers, administrators and parents count black students out before they start and many students count themselves out too. Lots of white people too but they tend to have a stronger support system backing them up.