Do decimal points gets rounded up in grading

<p>If the grade was say 89.6 would it get rounded up to 90???</p>

<p>It will be professor dependent. </p>

<p>Sent from my DROID RAZR using CC</p>

<p>Sorry, posted while vlines was composing…so revising.</p>

<p>This is where grade intangibles come in.<br>
Has the student got to know the professor…asked for help…stayed after class to clarify things…attempted any extra credit…turned things in on time…and comes to class every day??? In other words, is the 89.6 a legit borderline grade, or is it there because of some small aspect that the student did not take care of? Professors and teachers have lee-way when it comes to grades. I advise all students to do everything in their power to influence their grades themselves, and that would include all the intangibles that might tip the rounding in their favor. I’m sure others with more experience can chime in and answer this more objectively.</p>

<p>does it really matter… with the plus minus system a B+ is 3.67 and an A- (assuming you hope they go to 90) is a 3.67?</p>

<p>^^^</p>

<p>A B+ is only 3.33 (or 3 1/3)</p>

<p>An A- is 3.67 (or 3 2/3)</p>

<p>As mentioned above it’s going to be instructor dependent how grades are handled that are very close to a higher level. Many times the course syllabus will provide detail on how they will address the issue.</p>

<p>

</p>

<p>Which really just means what vlines said:</p>

<p>

</p>

<p>Or I’ll throw in my own succinct answer, based on my own personal experience: </p>

<p>Maybe. :)</p>

<p>Good luck - hope you catch the professor in the right mood on the right day.</p>

<p>Is this a grade on a final exam, and is it posted? Because if it has not been posted, and is not “final”, you have to take into account the whole curve process too. So a student could have a 89.6, but the professor may round the grades of all students up 5% (or whatever). Or the student could have had a lower grade, and the 89.6 IS the curved grade- if the prof curves. </p>

<p>As other have said, there are so many different variables that are difficult to determine.</p>

<p>Posted overall grade on blackboard but not listed anywhere else as a letter grade. Syllabus does not address ( nor did the syllabus of other 5 classes).</p>

<p>if this were my kid, I’d advise my child to pose the question in an email to prof (very politely). The prof may then take the time to “round up” your child’s grade. Trying to get a grade changed later can be more of a hassle.</p>

<p>thanks jcr… duh moment LOL</p>

<p>I know that an 89.6 does not automatically round up to the 90. It has been done by the teacher. D’s spanish teacher sent out an e-mail explaining that she would be rounding up for the students that needed it for the next grade if they had a .5 or better - for example an 79.5 would be an 80. a 93.57 would be a 94 etc. But this was something she was doing herself manually.</p>

<p>Does Alabama give grade’s out as A,B,C,D or do they have the pluses and minus.
A-,B+…?</p>

<p>Glad it worked out, collegeboom. </p>

<p>MichiganGeorgia…they use the +/- system.</p>

<p>For us the answer was NO.</p>

<p>If there was no grading scale posted on the syllabus, an 89.5 could be an A-; I’ve had some classes where an A- was 84-90 after any curves and some classes where an A- was [90-94) without any curve. I personally like it when professors give syllabi with letter-numerical grade conversions written in interval notation as it removes any doubts about rounding, provided that the student understands the difference between [,] and (,).</p>