Do freshman "need" ipad, iphone and Macbook pro?

<p>Samsung Galaxy Note already combines a phone with a tablet. The screen is much larger than a phone’s screen, but smaller than a typical tablet screen.</p>

<p>[Samsung</a> GALAXY Note - Samsung Mobile](<a href=“Samsung Galaxy | The Official Samsung Galaxy Site”>Samsung Galaxy | The Official Samsung Galaxy Site)</p>

<p>It has a 5.3 inch screen which is much larger than my Galaxy IIs screen (which already is larger than normal Smart Phones…my Galaxy IIs screen is 4.5 inches, while my kids’ Galaxy screens are 4 inches )</p>

<p>According to my husband, a PC man because of his profession (finance), a Mac book is a hassle for him. However, my kids are Mac lovers because they can produce movies, music, and other creative things easier and better than they could on a PC. I would purchase his laptop based on his major and what types of things he’ll be using it for. My son is an advertising major so a Mac book is better for him than a PC. If he was a business major we would send him off with a PC. For what it’s worth. My DH is a complete technology geek and has on numerous occasions had to help the IT people at his company because they didn’t know how to fix certain things. </p>

<p>DH has a Blackberry for business and an Iphone for pleasure. I have an Iphone and so do our kids. I would say that any smart phone would be fine for your son. They all have their pros and cons. However, If he has an Ipad, Mac book, and an Iphone then he can store everything in I Cloud which is so convenient, and if he loses his phone or Ipad he can retrieve all of his contacts, calendar, etc, from I Cloud. Thank goodness for that feature or my son would have had to start over twice this summer. Ugh!</p>

<p>Anyway, I think that a laptop, whether it be a PC or a Mac book, is a necessity. A smart phone is useful but not a necessity, and an Ipad is great but I if he has a laptop I wouldn’t categorize it as a need.</p>

<p>An important side note, make sure you insure his laptop. My DD’s roommate’s laptop was stolen her freshman year and because her parents were smart enough to insure it they didn’t have to fork over another $1800 for a new Mac. We insured our DD’s after that.</p>