Do I have a balanced list? [LA resident, 4.0, 36, NMSF, <$25k, biology or physics, pre-med]

I’d say it’s a Likely for admission. Not sure how much merit aid they will give though. You’d probably get to the high end of your budget, but not sure if they will or do give more than that.

I like your dad!!!

As to UMASS, in reality, how is it any different than LSU or Arkansas - other than they have the top rated food in the country?

Don’t forget, there are superstars like you at probably every flagship in the country - so you are not the only brilliant kid not going to a perceived top school.

That’s where the money comes in - they buy these kids to campus!!! Schools like Bama, Ole Miss, LSU, Arkansas, Mizzou, etc.

Yes, there’s the “zoomass” moniker. But according to my kid who did the research when she was making her list, there is a significant difference in culture.

3 Likes

In our case, they offered my (out-of-state) daughter enough to bring tuition down to in-state cost.

3 Likes

Which brings the COA to $35k. What I don’t know is if there is merit aid higher than that.

I get it - regionally etc. there are differences - but I was more blanketing large schools with the same brush, right or wrong.

But most have special programs etc. and will still have outstanding academic opportunities - and parties and sports, etc.

My daughters were offered the same, with slightly lower stats, and I don’t know if there are higher scholarships for higher stat students. One chose UDel instead for the same price, they offer higher amounts to 100 applicants (which she didn’t get). I think the OP would be one of those applicants.

Ok so I’ve heard good things about UDel. Just not as much info in general. Could you tell me more about it? If that’s more of a private message thing that’s fine

1 Like

Messaged you.

1 Like

Considering taking off Emory because Atlanta is meh and it’s not like I’ll win the scholarship anyway.

The chances of hitting Emory aren’t great - but you’re a great candidate for anything. But you have 20 common app spots - if it’s not for you, it’s not for you. But you also have Georgia Tech - which is actually in Atlanta. Emory has the Atlanta address (and the second Oxford campus) - but it’s more suburban - so not in the hustle and bustle - but not far.

Have you looked at W&L and / or SMU - which are both “better odds” - especially W&L.

Yeah, I was thinking of getting rid of Emory bc 2 Atlanta schools seemed weird, and I feel like I might have better chances at Georgia Tech than Emory. Especially since I’m a girl and it’s pretty male-dominated. I think 60% male? Which is not the norm for colleges. I’ll leave it though. I’m just trying to get my list down to around 15. W&L is too small and in the middle of nowhere. I did consider it, and I know a girl that got the full ride. If it was small but in a big city or the middle of nowhere but bigger, it would be fine. But both tiny and not near a city is not what I want. SMU is really not the environment I’m looking for based on everything I’ve heard about it. And, like UTD, I’d rather get a little farther away than Dallas, and Texas is not exactly on my short list of states to live in at the moment.

3 Likes

But Emory has the Woodruff Scholars - is that better or more likely to get you to cost than Ga Tech? I know they have the Stamps program.

Also, G Tech is in city, Emory isn’t. There are differences. Not totally sure of your interests as you have several - but I believe my son was in the astrophysics camp when we toured Emory - and they just weren’t strong. They are in some sciences but that wasn’t one. So Ga Tech might be better.

When you are chasing merit, take advantage of all 20 Common App slots - so you have more choices - unless you tour and safety and cost safety and you love it so much that you’re all in - then you can go less.

If you set up an email address - generic - so all your college emails go to one place - and start signing up on college request info pages - you’ll start getting emails and some schools will send you fee waivers to apply - to help save money. So that’s a good thing to do too. While my daughter applied to 21, we had 110 or so schools initially on the list. Yes, we removed some / requested off the subscription as she narrowed her list.

But if you have a school of maybe interest, you want to learn more - get on their email list.

When they come, open them - especially the privates - as many track demonstrated interest. Play videos - even if you walk away, etc.

There’s schools out there that are app fee free and/or have no extra essays - so they are easy apply too.

As long as you have a couple - slam dunk both admit and financial wise and you won’t groan about going - take your shots with the rest.

How bout La Tech vs. LSU?

2 Likes

You should consider Univ of Alabama-Huntsville.

Freshmen out of state academic scholarship info → UAH - Admission & Aid - Freshman Out-of-State Academic Scholarships

With your 4.0 GPA and 36 ACT, you’ll qualify for full tuition scholarship AND 1 full year of on campus housing. For scholarship renewal, you’ll have to maintain a cumulative 3.0 GPA each semester and earn min of 24 credits each year between fall and spring semesters.

There are SOME fraternities & sororities on campus, but it’s not the turbo Greek life that you’d see at LSU, Ole Miss, or Univ of Alabama.

According to their 2022-2023 Common Data Set (https://www.uah.edu/images/administrative/provost/oir/CDS/cds_2022-2023.pdf), there’s just over 7100 undergrads enrolled. And about 2000 grad students.

Your AP scores should get you course credit for some classes. Details for what courses your scores will match to can be found at UAH - Admission & Aid - AP/IB.

4 Likes

Louisiana Tech has a full ride for in state National Merit Finalists. And it’s around 11,000 students. Might be a good safety.

5 Likes

Just noting that the Tulsa scholarship is for NM Semi-Finalists. One does not need to be a Finalist to receive the package.

https://utulsa.edu/financial-aid/scholarships/nmsf/

5 Likes

This was awhile ago, but my daughter received significant merit to Ohio State honors program. The cost came down to well under $25,000 a year OOS (no student loan).

I do not know if Lehigh still gives merit, but if they do I would think about leaving it. My D (again, this was awhile ago so you need to check if they still give merit) received very significant merit. If you leave it on the list you need to show a LOT of interest. While it’s certainly not a sure thing for anybody, it might be worth leaving it (depending on the mix of schools you have).

UNC and UVA will be tough for merit, even with Jefferson Scholars. If you get Jefferson Scholars I agree that you should leave it.

What about the U of South Carolina honors?

Congrats on your accomplishments! You seem to be very mature and will be successful wherever you go!

1 Like

Ohio state is just too big for me!!

Lehigh does still give merit. I’m glad to hear about someone who actually got it. I didn’t know they’re big on interest so thanks for letting me know!

I’ll look into south carolina

1 Like

You can look at any school’s common data set - and go to section C7 to see - if they track interest.

Just google the school name and common data set.

There are four categories - very important, important, considered, not considered.

Typically, a private that tracks interest, labels it as considered. But Lehigh rates it important.

Publics don’t track interest. Some list that they do - but I don’t believe they do.

What’s interest? Sign up for an online session or two. Get on their info request list so they bombard you with emails. Open the emails. Play the videos -even if you walk away.

Basically, they assume that if you interact with them, there’s more a likelihood you’ll attend vs. someone who applies - but never interacts with them.

Don’t forget, colleges are businesses - so they need revenue - so it’s not just the best that get in. But the most likely to attend get a big boost.

U of SC is the top rated Honors College…but there are many great ones. Their aid is outstanding.

CDS_2022-2023_Revised 3.8.2023.pdf (lehigh.edu)

4 Likes

You should think about the University of Tulsa. As President there, I can say this year’s class is 25% National Merit. That’s almost certainly the highest density of National Merit in the nation. We have great STEM programs. Our endowment is $1.5 billion, so you’ll find lots of resources, research opportunities and the like.

It is also a very beautiful campus. I’d put the campus up against any other I’ve visited in the nation.

So come check it out. Drop me a note here and I’ll give you a personal tour. For the right student, it’s an amazing place.

Brad

24 Likes