Do I have a chance at Rutgers New Brunswick nursing?

<p>Hi, so I was just wondering if I had a chance at Rutgers New Brunswick nursing. Although my GPA and class rank (top 6%, and 4.0 weighted GPA) and class rank are in their middle 50th percentile, my SAT scores are not. 50% of people get an 1880-2080 on the SAT, but my score is pretty terrible (1770).
My extra circulars also include:I have been a part of a year round swim team for 7 years, been an assistant swim coach, gotten varsity for every year I was on my school swim team, swam on a summer swim team, had 2 summer jobs as a lifeguard, been a swim instructor for 2 years , drama club for 2 years, varsity choir for 3 years, jr. board for a charity, 200+ community service hours, organized my own fundraisers, spanish honors society, national honors society, national society of high school scholars, an anti drugs and alcohol club for 4 years, and have organized my own fundraisers for pediatric cancer research.
My high school schedule also included 7 AP classes and 10 honors courses throughout my entire high school career (AP Calculus AB and BC, AP US History, AP Chemistry, AP Language, AP Literature, AP Psychology, etc.)</p>

<p>Although my SAT scores are quite low, do you think I still have a chance at Rutgers New Brunswick nursing?
On a side note, can anyone tell me anything about the Rutgers Camden campus/ nursing program? </p>

<p>Based on the info you provided it would appear that 25% of students accepted have SAT scores below 1880. Your GPA, Class rank, and rigor of HS courses are excellent and as a result IMHO you would at least have a shot at being accepted (obviously depending on the overalll applicant pool). Rutgers College of Nursing in NB/Newark runs three 4 year BSN Programs; in NB and Newark (curriculums are basicly the same except for I think one course), and a newly opened Program offered in conjunction with Camden County College in Blackwood, NJ. All these Programs provide a BSN degree from the Rutgers College of Nursing. Unless things have changed one of the difficulties in getting into the Program at NB is the very small size of the freshman Nursing class (I believe only around 40 students). They do take additional students into the Nursing Program in subsequent years from students in other majors at Rutgers NB (and other universities) but the competition is fierce for these spots (like at least a college GPA of 3.8 or higher). So it would be a major risk to try and go this route. Rutgers Camden has a separate School of Nursing not connected with the Rutgers College of Nursing in NB/Newark. So the BSN here would be from the Rutgers Camden School of Nursing. It is still very competitive to get into this Program but probably is not at the same level as that in Rutgers NB/Newark. I don’t have any details on this Program but overall it is my understanding that it is a very good Nursing Program. It is obviously located in Camden so the areas surrounding the school are a littly bit shady. Dorms are available however. Cooper University Hospital is right around the corner and is part of the new Medical School that has opened up at Rowan University. You really would need to visit the campus to get a better sense of whether you would feel comfortable there. Good luck to you. </p>

Hello. I’m a student at Rutgers-NB, but I am currently in the process of transferring to Rutgers-Camden. I came to New Brunswick as a bio major in the School of Arts and Sciences, but once I got here I decided I wanted to go into nursing. Trying to transfer into the nursing program here is EXHAUSTING. As mentioned by a previous poster, the nursing school will not even look at an application for anyone with less than a 3.3. However, in reality, they do not accept anyone with lower than ~3.8. Additionally, they only take about 75 of 150 transfer applicants (or so I’ve heard).

Basically, if you’re not accepted to the nursing program straight out of high school, but attend another Rutgers college (Arts & Sciences, SEBS, etc.) in the hopes of transferring into the program later-- think again. You’re much better off attending community college, getting your RN, and working while getting your BSN at another school. That being said, you do have a shot at being admitted right out of high school, but do not be discouraged if you’re not accepted. It’s incredibly competitive.

I am transferring to Camden because the nursing transfer requirements are much more attainable. At Camden, you only need a 2.5 to be admitted to the nursing program. Albeit my diploma will say “Rutgers Camden School of Nursing,” it’s still a great degree that will hopefully land me a job at a prestigious hospital in Philly!

Good luck with everything. I sincerely hope you get in!

Hi I am doing the same route as you, did everything work out with Camden. And is it true that you only need a 2.5 to get in?

In reference to a comment above, I know of at least one large hospital in PA that regularly hires RNs with only an associates degree and then pays about half of their costs to continue their education to get a BSN. However, I have read that there are other hospitals that will only hire BSNs.