Do I have a chance of getting into Rutgers - New Brunswick with a 3.44 GPA and an extracurricular?

Do I have a chance of getting into Rutgers - New Brunswick with a 3.44 GPA and an extracurricular?

I am also In-State.

1 Like

Test scores? I think my daughter’s friends with a similar unweighted gpa who went TO did not, but it might depend on the school, some are more competitive. Look at this years results threads.

What major?

Something in the School of Arts and Sciences?

I think you do have a decent chance, but it will also depend on where your GPA stands relative to the rest of your high school. As mjkacmom asked, have you taken the SAT/ACT?

No, I have not taken the SAT or the ACT.

1 Like

@neela1 son is in with a lower GPA (not sure if weighted or unweighted) but a great test.

Nonetheless, there’s only one way to find out.

Apply.

Can you get in? Yes .

Will you? Only Rutgers knows.

Just make sure it’s not the only school you apply to and that you have safeties. Lots of solid schools in NJ from TCNJ to Ramapo and Montclair State and more.

Or you can go OOS to safeties too - if Rutgers doesn’t come through.

1 Like

3.44 is in the zone of what is possible. Certainly, based on our experience last year.

1 Like

but your son had a 35 right? and I assume that factors in too. Per the CDS, test score is of highest importance, equal to GPA and rigor.

I wouldn’t say TCNJ is a safety, it has a lower acceptance rate than Rutgers. My son graduated HS with an 3.4 UWGPA, which is lower than average, but had an ok act (30) and ED’d to up his chances. This was also 2016 when acceptances seemed easier.

He had a 1530. Didn’t submit ACT.
There is more nuance there…
He had 9 APs and 5 Honors classes.
The poor grades were in the earlier years.
The better grades were in the APs and later years.
Ended with Calc BC, AP CS A, AP Bio.
Those 3 APs (and a few others) were a 5.
Had a strong summer camp in CS.
etc …

1 Like

Sorry - I was just saying there’s other publics to try as well.

Wasn’t identifying specific safeties - sorry if it came off like that.

I don’t know the specific stats of those schools. I know there’s Rowan too and probably more - Stockton something or other…

1 Like